• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right! Now at break even with exception of a divvy to come from Standard life. Come the huge rally on Monday I'll be laughing
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Right! Now at break even with exception of a divvy to come from Standard life. Come the huge rally on Monday I'll be laughing
      FTSE futures up 1.6%. Incredible reversal in the US given the horrible jobs numbers and factory orders. I guess it's the certainty the markets were looking for...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        FTSE futures up 1.6%. Incredible reversal in the US given the horrible jobs numbers and factory orders. I guess it's the certainty the markets were looking for...
        its been like this for many years. A bad news is good news for stocks as all the printed cash via QE will go straight to stock market.
        I predict dow 20000 by december.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          Which year?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            its been like this for many years. A bad news is good news for stocks as all the printed cash via QE will go straight to stock market.
            Not recently though, in fact the opposite (i.e. good news is good news, and vice versa). If upcoming earnings substantially miss expectations (it's quite a low bar), I'd expect another test of the lows before too long.

Comment

The market was looking to rally and bounced right at support. I expect it to rally for a few more days before the bear resumes it's work. October is traditionally a bad month, I don't see anything that points to this year being any different. I hope to start laying in short positions from next week.

Comment

Weird. Glencore cancelled their dividend, but I have a forty quid payment from them in my account???
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Weird. Glencore cancelled their dividend, but I have a forty quid payment from them in my account???
                  I got one too, had to click on it twice, bit it was definitely a Glencore dividend.

Apparently that's the interim dividend, ex-dividend date 2. September. I thought it would have been paid out already.

They've cancelled a bigger dividend they were planning to pay at the end of the year
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I got a message about it.

Dear mudskipper

Glencore plc: Return of Capital

What has happened?

The Company has made a Return of Capital cash payment to Shareholders. Shareholders at the close of business on 9 September 2015 have received a payment of 3.864485p per Share.

How has my portfolio been affected?
                    Consequently, your Vantage Stocks & Shares ISA has been updated to reflect the following changes:

Holding of Glencore plc Shares on the Qualifying Date:
                    x Shares
                    Return of Capital payment:
                    3.864485p per Share
                    Total cash payment:
                    £ x

Do I need to take any action?
                    No. The Return of Capital has now been completed; this letter is for information purposes only. Should you wish to reinvest this cash in further stocks/funds of your choice, please telephone our Broker line on 0117 980 9800, where our Dealers will gladly assist you. Alternatively you may reinvest the proceeds online at Hargreaves Lansdown | ISAs, pensions, funds and shares.

Further information
                    This payment has been released as a Retunr of Capital payment in accordance with the RNS announcement from Glencore on 9 January 2014:

"Relevant UK Shareholders have previously been informed that dividends/distributions paid or payable in respect of the Company's Shares should generally be treated as income distributions for UK tax purposes, but that where a distribution was made from Share premium account, there was a possibility that the applicable tax regime would instead be that relating to capital gains.

Having taken further advice (and in the light of a recent decision of the UK Court of Appeal), the Company now understands that all dividends/distributions it has made or (assuming no change in the law) will make from Share premium account (a capital contribution reserve) are or will be, in the hands of relevant UK Shareholders, subject to UK capital gains tax rather than income tax."

Future Distributions from Glencore plc
                    Please note, Glencore plc announced on 7 September 2015 that the 2015 Final Distribution and the 2016 Interim Distribution have been suspended under Glencore plc’s plan to reduce net debt and adapt the business to the current commodity landscape. Glencore plc have not given an indication as to whether Distributions will resume following the 2016 Interim Distribution.

Comment

You'll have to pay it back.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X