• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reporting IR35 Bad Practices ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting IR35 Bad Practices ?

So if you thought a client and agency were not doing what was required to ensure contractors were operating outside IR35, how would you report it ?

It's not good over evil, it's business!

If they were breaking the Code of Conduct for Employment Agencies it might be different...

I think you've missed the point - it would benefit both if they treated you as a business, but if they don't want to do it they don't have to.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      It's not good over evil, it's business!

If they were breaking the Code of Conduct for Employment Agencies it might be different...

I think you've missed the point - it would benefit both if they treated you as a business, but if they don't want to do it they don't have to.
      I'm not sure thats the point.

If the client isn't ensuring contract renewals are in place defining work to be performed, that PII is required and other key IR35 aspects, does this not sound dodgy?

Comment

Originally posted by AussieDigger View Post

If the client isn't ensuring contract renewals are in place defining work to be performed, that PII is required and other key IR35 aspects, does this not sound dodgy?
        No, it sounds like they don't care. IR35 is down to you to manage, nobody else, it's not even on their radar; they just want a worker.

However, you perhaps need to revise what defines in and out of IR35.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Dodgy to whom? It's only been in the last few years that most agencies require contractors to have insurance, and not all do even now.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            No, it sounds like they don't care. IR35 is down to you to manage, nobody else, it's not even on their radar; they just want a worker.

However, you perhaps need to revise what defines in and out of IR35.
            WMS.

You need to research what it means to be a business in this industry.

Comment

No it's called you need to get your contract reviewed and then negiogiated to suit you*, and you need to negiogiate your working practises.

*Yes you have to pay but that's part of being a business.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I would call it 'unhelpful'. As SueEllen says, at the end of the day your IR35 status lies with you. If you feel your client and your agency are not playing ball, then raise your concerns with them. If they still don't really care, then change your agency and your client if you feel they are sufficiently putting your IR35 status at risk. Remember actual working practices are a big part of IR35, which you don't really comment on here.
                2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

This sounds like a contract inside IR35. If you are on a "bum on a seat" contractor, being directed and activities to do on a weekly basis, you'll probably be deemed to be inside IR35.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X