• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xtal View Post
    Long time lurker with a couple of questions..

As someone else recently asked in this thread, I too would be interested to know whether anyone has attempted to come to a settlement with HMRC, and if so what the outcome was?

Also, regarding the soon (likely) to arrive APN's. Could there be a possibility of a "deal price" being offered to encourage settlement? Or will it almost certainly be the figures we're already expecting + penalty fees (if late), plus shirt off back etc?
    I guess you're not an NTRT member, or you would know from the newsletters what the score is. I think the other poster you referred to is not a member either.

The only settlement you will get out of HMRC, whether you approach them alone or through an accountant/tax advisor, is 100% of what is owed.

We are hopeful of securing a much better outcome for our members but then we have something up our sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      I guess you're not an NTRT member, or you would know from the newsletters what the score is. I think the other poster you referred to is not a member either.

The only settlement you will get out of HMRC, whether you approach them alone or through an accountant/tax advisor, is 100% of what is owed.

We are hopeful of securing a much better outcome for our members but then we have something up our sleeve.
      To be honest that's better than the standard HMRC offer which is 100% of what they think you owe them regardless of what you actually do owe them.

And I'm glad you've found another possible card....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Nice

Comment

Richard Murphy, tax expert , on the Today programme , this morning, worth a listen. Programme still awaiting any form of response from HMRC, now 8 days

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            To be honest that's better than the standard HMRC offer which is 100% of what they think you owe them regardless of what you actually do owe them.
            It was easier for them to do the calculations in our case because, unlike the loan schemes, all of the money was included in our tax returns.

That's not to say errors haven't occurred. There was one that came up in the Huitson FTT.

Comment

With inflation near enough at zero and interest at 3%, I wonder if they are rethinking this so called cash flow advantage that APNs are supposed to target.

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
                With inflation near enough at zero and interest at 3%, I wonder if they are rethinking this so called cash flow advantage that APNs are supposed to target.
                The problem is, without APNs, HMRC would probably never collect most of this tax so the interest is largely hypothetical.

The Government needs the cash now never mind the interest.

Comment

A big welcome to our recent new members - where have you been all these years

To HMRC: we are getting bigger and stronger and will be a force to be reckoned with.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    A big welcome to our recent new members - where have you been all these years

To HMRC: we are getting bigger and stronger and will be a force to be reckoned with.
                    Amazed its taken some people 7 years to arrive (i.e. since S58 FA 2008), guess better late than never!

Comment

deGraaf

I have just heard from a deGraaf user who has received the letter from HMRC about imminent APNs.

He hasn't been able to get hold of deGraaf.

Does anyone know if deGraaf are still in business?

Comment

Working...
                      X