• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting stage of the finance bill

Being discussed today: Player

Has anybody heard anything regarding FNs or APNs?

Comment

the chap speaking now is on our side, challenging powers being given to HMRC, talking about accelerated payments and hes a tory! Go on son!!!!

Hes just said the NAO stated justice department owed £2bn in fines and confiscation of good, so why not start there!!! Love this bloke.....

Also stating that there is no incentive for HMRC to expedite cases if they have the money....Love him even more

Now quoting CIOT that HMRC has executive power without safeguards...I now want to sleep with him!!!

Hes now quoting lawson in reducing taxation to help mitigate avoidance to start with

hes a legend!!!!

hes suggesting clause 12 is not supported...

Now the opposition is saying if the government designed the tax system with loopholes then tough...

Also talking about a chap in his constituency saying its retrospection back to 2004.

Blimey Gaukes getting a kicking from both sides!!!
      Last edited by smalldog; 1 July 2014, 18:02.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like a good guy.... it's late in the game, but hey, not gonna be fussy! !
        Do we know his name? Gotta send some love :-)
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          the chap speaking now is on our side, challenging powers being given to HMRC, talking about accelerated payments and hes a tory! Go on son!!!!

Hes just said the NAO stated justice department owed £2bn in fines and confiscation of good, so why not start there!!! Love this bloke.....

Also stating that there is no incentive for HMRC to expedite cases if they have the money....Love him even more

Now quoting CIOT that HMRC has executive power without safeguards...I now want to sleep with him!!!

Hes now quoting lawson in reducing taxation to help mitigate avoidance to start with

hes a legend!!!!

hes suggesting clause 12 is not supported...

Now the opposition is saying if the government designed the tax system with loopholes then tough...

Also talking about a chap in his constituency saying its retrospection back to 2004.

Blimey Gaukes getting a kicking from both sides!!!

That's exactly what I tweeted in the last bombardment - "Don't let my family pay for previous govt bad legislation". That line from committee stage about ' we'll probably repeal it later on' just reinforces it.

How does one get the House of Lords list?

Comment

Anyone got the Hansard for this?

BeenGauked might want to quote a few of these comments
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Are we missing an opportunity here? I thought our MP badgering was over but surely if we can keep up the pressure all the better. Or is that the debate over now in the House of Commons?

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                Are we missing an opportunity here? I thought our MP badgering was over but surely if we can keep up the pressure all the better. Or is that the debate over now in the House of Commons?
                I've emailed the Steering Group and Whitehouse.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Clause 12 went to a vote about 8PM last night, they locked the doors and it was 290 Nos, 220 Ayes to it being read a second time. I assume that means its passed through?

As usual Gauke had literally NO answers to points raised by his own back bench, or the opposition. Just the usual diatribe about paying fair share etc. Even my wife said unprompted "he didnt answer any of the questions?", we watched it live on parliament TV.

To be honest ive never seen or heard Gauke get such a kicking from his own team or the opposition
                  Last edited by smalldog; 2 July 2014, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    Clause 12 went to a vote about 8PM last night, they locked the doors and it was 290 Nos, 220 Ayes to it being read a second time. I assume that means its passed through?

As usual Gauke had literally NO answers to points raised by his own back bench, or the opposition. Just the usual diatribe about paying fair share etc. Even my wife said unprompted "he didnt answer any of the questions?", we watched it live on parliament TV.

To be honest ive never seen or heard Gauke get such a kicking from his own team or the opposition
                    Looks like we missed an opportunity there.

Comment

What does not voting for a second reading mean? I tried to figure out the parliamentary process, but got no further than this:

Debate on general principles of the Bill

Second reading is the first opportunity for MPs to debate the main principles of the Bill.

It usually takes place no sooner than two weekends after first reading.

What happens at second reading?

The Government minister, spokesperson or MP responsible for the Bill opens the second reading debate.

The official Opposition spokesperson responds with their views on the Bill.

The debate continues with other Opposition parties and backbench MPs giving their opinions.

At the end of the debate, the Commons decides whether the Bill should be given its second reading by voting, meaning it can proceed to the next stage.

It is possible for a Bill to have a second reading with no debate - as long as MPs agree to its progress.
                      Last edited by andyc2000; 2 July 2014, 13:41. Reason: I had meant to make that smaller - not bigger...

Comment

Working...
                      X