• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    I agree, it would surely be as though you have the apn money ready to go and no further interest due. Let's see....
    Let's not forget that the circular we received from HMRC at the end of last year advised that we either pay on account or buy a CTD. I think it would we awkward in that circumstance for them to disregard the CTD purchase date in the event an APN is issued.
    Last edited by bananarepublic; 28 June 2014, 08:00.

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
      I contacted HMRC 3 or 4 months ago to get an answer (via the contacts listed on the APN budget notice). I did not get a reply.
      Oh what a surprise. You ain't the first or the last to try. Mr you know who ( ) sends us rude letters which are full of threats - then seems surprised when he gets as good as he gives.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
        It's fair to say that the unfair ruin to many ordinary people that this will bring will prompt very drastic action. I would not feel safe if I were anybody involved in implementing this.
        I saw Gauke getting off the tube once.
        I gave him an aggressive stare and he looked very worried and scared by it, and I'm not a particularity big guy.
        He must have had plenty to feel guilty about to have been shaken so easily.

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
          I saw Gauke getting off the tube once.
          I gave him an aggressive stare and he looked very worried and scared by it, and I'm not a particularity big guy.
          He must have had plenty to feel guilty about to have been shaken so easily.
          well look what happened to Timms, he got stabbed in the stomach, he was also treasury secretary so not surprised if Gauke is a tad nervous.

Comment

I would like to remind people that this thread is moderated. I would like to keep as open as possible which means that everyone has a responsibility to keep it that way. No extreme comments please.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
              It's fair to say that the unfair ruin to many ordinary people that this will bring will prompt very drastic action. I would not feel safe if I were anybody involved in implementing this.

Karma.

It's awful to think somebody too their life over this. Many many more lives will be ruined by this.
              ha ha ha. So far those affected have done nothing except whine a tiny bit. By the time anyone does anything that might help it will be way too late to have any effect. So they wont do anything.

And if anyone thinks staring at someone on the tube, when they have no idea why you are staring, will worry anyone, then they are more deluded than me. If someone stared at me on the tube I would be concerned.

Time to lube up and bend over.

Comment

It's no wonder the politicians don't give a tulip about our plight, when they get away with stuff like this...

Devastated families face eviction after Britain’s richest MP buys housing estate and hikes up rent
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  It's no wonder the politicians don't give a tulip about our plight, when they get away with stuff like this...

Devastated families face eviction after Britain’s richest MP buys housing estate and hikes up rent
                  To be fair this is a business decision based on market values and economics. Im a landlord myself so can see their reasoning, why shouldnt they charge the going rate for a rental property. Ultimately this comes down to the ludicrous notion that people being homed by the state thinking they have some god given right to decide where they live and at what cost.

IF they had retrospectively applied a rent hike and then gone after the families for that then I could see parallels between this and us in terms of unfairness.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    To be fair this is a business decision based on market values and economics. Im a landlord myself so can see their reasoning, why shouldnt they charge the going rate for a rental property. Ultimately this comes down to the ludicrous notion that people being homed by the state thinking they have some god given right to decide where they live and at what cost.

If they had retrospectively applied a rent hike and then gone after the families for that then I could see parallels between this and us in terms of unfairness.
                    Looking at the photos, I'd say this was once a council estate that has been brought under private control. The residents didn't have a choice. People have been living there for as long as 70 years and paying a fair rent on low paid jobs.

For somebody to come along and hike up the rent to ball-breaking levels, somebody I should add is who is a public servant and should be taking a moral view of the situation, is just wrong.

The government took a moral view of our tax avoidance when it suited them. If we don't feel sympathy for them, it's hard to justify why we should get sympathy either.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

BBC News - European Court upholds French full veil ban

How did they get heard so quickly?

Comment

Working...
                      X