• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    No you don't. Google the title, follow the link, answer an inane question.
    Yes you do. All google links route to the FT even if an intermediary site is reporting the headline.

To be frank, I cant be arsed messing around if folk cant be bother posting the text but thats just me.

DonkeyRhubarb

Quote Originally Posted by smalldog View Post
    Hi DR, which scheme, the original one or the loan scheme or does it apply to both?
    The original (DTA/BN66) scheme.
    Just one friggin' cockup after another. No wonder we're fcuked!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by ALMAC View Post
      None of my tax returns from 2002 to 2008 have the DOTAS number declared on them. Does anyone know where this leaves me in regard to APN's/followers.
      Thanks in advance!
      If you were in a scheme that had a DOTAS number but which you have not declared, your return is deficient and you are risking a penalty.

The fact that you have not declared a number does not mean you will escape an APN because that is based on whether the scheme has been advised, not your return.

You need to check URGENTLY whether you should have advised a DOTAS number and if so, you should volunteer your GENUINE ERROR to HMRC as soon as possible.

Comment

DOTAS Needed ?

Originally posted by Rob79 View Post
        If you were in a scheme that had a DOTAS number but which you have not declared, your return is deficient and you are risking a penalty.

The fact that you have not declared a number does not mean you will escape an APN because that is based on whether the scheme has been advised, not your return.

You need to check URGENTLY whether you should have advised a DOTAS number and if so, you should volunteer your GENUINE ERROR to HMRC as soon as possible.
        As discussed previously, there is quite a lot of doubt as to whether the arrangement even needed a DOTAS number as it was used pre 2004. My understanding is that DOTAS applies to new schemes (that started after 2004).
        http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Yes you do. All google links route to the FT even if an intermediary site is reporting the headline.

To be frank, I cant be arsed messing around if folk cant be bother posting the text but thats just me.
          Nope. You can access material on the ft.com via indirect link if you answer a survey question. In the same vein, you can access an arbitrary number of Telegraph articles when the browser is in private mode. Even if it were practical to copy/paste such a long article, copy/paste functionality is blocked on the ft.com.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Nope. You can access material on the ft.com via indirect link if you answer a survey question. In the same vein, you can access an arbitrary number of Telegraph articles when the browser is in private mode. Even if it were practical to copy/paste such a long article, copy/paste functionality is blocked on the ft.com.
            Whatever. I tried a number of links after googling the headline. Not one presented a survey question.

As I said, Im not arsed.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
              As discussed previously, there is quite a lot of doubt as to whether the arrangement even needed a DOTAS number as it was used pre 2004. My understanding is that DOTAS applies to new schemes (that started after 2004).
              I agree with TC - my understanding is that schemes pre 2004 were not required to display DOTAS numbers on returns even if they subsequently acquired one. My returns from 2005-7 never had one on and I doubt (and hope) that MP wouldn't have made such a fundamental error...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Mrs BP is divorcing me due to this mess...
                Sorry to hear that

Comment

Originally posted by BettySwollocks View Post
                  I agree with TC - my understanding is that schemes pre 2004 were not required to display DOTAS numbers on returns even if they subsequently acquired one. My returns from 2005-7 never had one on and I doubt (and hope) that MP wouldn't have made such a fundamental error...
                  Hmmmm so if I was in the same scheme from 2003 then my returns didn't need to quote any number?

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                    Hmmmm so if I was in the same scheme from 2003 then my returns didn't need to quote any number?
                    I think so, yes. Although Montpelier were being super safe and put the number on a lot of returns (including mine) anyway. So much for being open and transparent.
                    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                      Correct.

Just to be clear, I was advised of this by NTRT as a result of a letter I received from Brannigan a while back where he rebuked my challenge of "unlawful" use of discovery to re-open certain tax years because I didn't have the DOTAS number on them - in his eyes I had not fully disclosed my use of the scheme - this is despite the fact that the return clearly states the use of the IOM DTA...

Comment

Working...
                      X