• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
    It means 'lets forget we ever discussed it and get to the nearest bar'
    That's exactly how it sounded. And now it's big pats on the back all around. Haven't we done well.
    Shove your red and black blouse... WTF

Comment

really wish i'd never listened to this... my blood is boiling! Democracy. Bunch of public schoolboys is how it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Boycie View Post
        That's exactly how it sounded. And now it's big pats on the back all around. Haven't we done well.
        Shove your red and black blouse... WTF
        Look DR/TSBT did say this was just testing the water. I wouldn't give up just yet!

Comment

Here we go - drinks on the terrace to celebrate!

Comment

This is a joke !

All I heard was people agreeing. Gauke read out a pre-written script and then Mills withdrew it.

And now they are waffling like teenagers after their first pint.

I am so livid.

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
            It means 'lets forget we ever discussed it and get to the nearest bar'

Comment

Calm Down

Originally posted by OldITGit View Post
              if it was a Gauke ploy to get Nigel ills to raise the clause and then...withdraw it.
              All,

This matter has been discussed at length off radar and was not only expected but required. Sure, they left time tight and we figured that out. Withdrawing the amendment was expected and needed. But if you listened to what was said by others and the lack of grumbles in the background I think you'll see what today did. We know who is onside and who is not and critically, what Gauke thinks and why. You may think I'm losing it but with the little time made available some salient points were made and nobody chaffed what Nigel Mills said. Recon done.

Comment

Originally posted by mrkitchen View Post
                Why did he withdraw it, there was plenty of support, only Gauke opposed.
                Because if it had gone to a division (vote) all the Government MPs would have fallen into line.

This is a game and if you don't understand the rules you lose.

That is why we have Whitehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
                  All,

This matter has been discussed at length off radar and was not only expected but required. Sure, they left time tight and we figured that out. Withdrawing the amendment was expected and needed. But if you listened to what was said by others and the lack of grumbles in the background I think you'll see what today did. We know who is onside and who is not and critically, what Gauke thinks and why. You may think I'm losing it but with the little time made available some salient points were made and nobody chaffed what Nigel Mills said. Recon done.
                  Told you so!

Comment

So what happens next?

Does anyone know what happens next then? The amendment was withdrawn dispite lots of agreement about how awful retrospection is and Gauke just reading out the usual pre-prepared puff piece. Now what?

Comment

Was it Jacob Rees-Mogg who was very vocal about his opposition to retrospection?

Comment

Working...
                      X