• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrkitchen View Post
    18 months until APN's are issued, is this confirmed ?
    Gauke said in the committee meeting that it would take up to 18 months to issue them. Basically it will depend where we all lie in the admin queue !!
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
      Should we tweet all members or is it more productive to target a few each?? I was going to tweet all members yesterday but thought I would defer until I had feedback from someone more social media Savvy.
      It would be much better to not do mass messaging - it can appear as spam, and as a result the person can just ignore you (as in: they won't even see your messages anymore)

In my opinion, it's preferable to engage one or two of your "favourite" MPs, and try to be as personal as possible.

I posted the condoc response number manipulation as a news item on the website, the links to the reference docs are there.Feel free to point to it: tinyurl.com/n3pp5s5

(disclaimer: no Twitter expert...also picked it up less than 2 wks ago )

www.dotas-scandal.org
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
        Gauke said in the committee meeting that it would take up to 18 months to issue them. Basically it will depend where we all lie in the admin queue !!
        What strikes me in the MPs debate is that they seem to think that the tax was disputed at the time of sending in your tax return. If that was the case then yes I suspect people would keep the monies in their account until the return was signed off. However as we know returns were signed off and then 4 years down the line HMRC change their minds.

If one has to pay this money back can they reclaim all the tax and VAT paid while spending it, because that portion has already gone to the exchequer?

Comment

Exciting!! (NOT!)
          It's gonna be like sitting in the (financial) death row..
          Just bring it on already.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

In the follow-up report on the consultation, HMRC estimated it could take up to 2 years to issue all of them. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes even longer than that. Remember how long it took them to issue CNs to all of us after S58 was passed?

At least when they publish the list of affected schemes in the next few weeks we will know which of us are sitting under the sword of Damocles.

Comment

good point

[QUOTE=andyc2000;1953358]What strikes me in the MPs debate is that they seem to think that the tax was disputed at the time of sending in your tax return. If that was the case then yes I suspect people would keep the monies in their account until the return was signed off. However as we know returns were signed off and then 4 years down the line HMRC change their minds.

I always think this is important - i know they can change their minds after the event using whatever rules they have - but for many years the returns were reviewed and accepted with little or no challenge.

Suddenly - these returns are wrong - have always been wrong - you are bad for not knowing they were wrong (when they weren't wrong) - you should've kept the money aside as they were always wrong - and as you didn't pay us what you owed us all those years ago when we didn't tell you that you owed it to us (even though you didn't /don't) - and wer'e gonna fine you

This kind of gets missed in the legality / political bluff - this needs to be emphasized .. obv not in the confusing way i did :O)

just saying

Comment

My good friend BeenGauked knocked this one up hastily, so a bit rough and ready...

Have a go of the Gauke slot machine...

Gauke Slots | Finance Bill 2014

Don't forget to retweet!
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by andyc2000 View Post
                  What strikes me in the MPs debate is that they seem to think that the tax was disputed at the time of sending in your tax return. If that was the case then yes I suspect people would keep the monies in their account until the return was signed off. However as we know returns were signed off and then 4 years down the line HMRC change their minds.
                  None of my returns were signed off. HMRC opened enquiries into all of them within 12 months.

This was brought up in court as justification of the retro element that we should have always expected to pay the tax.

What annoys me off is they waited 7 years before taking any action and then never challenged on legal grounds.

I would be interested to know if we could legally challenge the interest accumulation until at least 2006 (when GB warned schemes would be closed with retrospective effect satin back to 2006)

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    My good friend BeenGauked knocked this one up hastily, so a bit rough and ready...

Have a go of the Gauke slot machine...

Gauke Slots | Finance Bill 2014

Don't forget to retweet!
                    Brilliant!

Comment

Heads in sand

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                      65,000 cases and only 338 signatures!

Where is everyone?

I was planning in showing this to my MP but with that number he'll surely laugh me out his office.

Anybody else fancy singing and sharing to boost the numbers?

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-retrospective
                      Maybe people still have their heads in sand and need to be brought out to sign - i.e. be informed.

Comment

Working...
                      X