• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Ah! I was about to comment on the second link (on the site). But I see our resident "settlement facilitator" Matthew J Perry beat me to it.
    ..although his points are valid

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Lets see where we are in 3 months time...
      You allude to having some inside knowledge.

I can't believe that having handled '000's of tax appeals and closure notices, funded a Judicial Review, appeals up to and including the Court of Appeal, an ECHR submission and cooperation with Shiner et al (recent FTTT hearing) that they would suddenly drop out just as we are on the cusp of a full hearing at the FTTT (not to mention what they did previous to 2008)

Comment

Squeaky Bum time for some or does Gauke really know what he has let himself in for- Fergie time?

Comment

Hi Folks

I try not to stray into this thread too much, but you may find this interesting if you haven't already seen it: http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/12...ar-old-bailey/

Will it have an impact on your campaign?
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
            Hi Folks

I try not to stray into this thread too much, but you may find this interesting if you haven't already seen it: http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/12...ar-old-bailey/

Will it have an impact on your campaign?
            Link not working says article not found?

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              Link not working says article not found?
              Whoops!

Accountants on £1m Gift Aid fraud charge are bailed to appear at the Old Bailey | Third Sector
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Edward Watkin Gittins, an Isle of Man resident and fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, and Martin Calcutt, a member of the ICAEW, appeared at City of London Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with cheating the public revenue.

Calcutt is facing an additional charge of forgery.

The case was referred to the Central Criminal Court for a plea and case management hearing on 9 September. The pair have been placed on unconditional bail.

---------------------------------------------
                Plea and case management hearing - what does that mean? How long afterwards until the trial?

Personally I would say that if WG gets a prison sentence (is that possible?) then its not good news.

Its okay for him - he can just bugger off to Barbados afterwards.....

Comment

Old Bailey

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  The case was referred to the Central Criminal Court for a plea and case management hearing on 9 September. The pair have been placed on unconditional bail.
                  Does anybody know of more recent news on this, as I can see it could be significant ? The news story is from August 2013, and the 9th September was also last year. Can't see anything else online . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteCat View Post
                    Does anybody know of more recent news on this, as I can see it could be significant ? The news story is from August 2013, and the 9th September was also last year. Can't see anything else online . . .
                    Have been through the Court lists and can't find anything more - there certainly doesn't seem to be any more news
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Gittins court case

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      Have been through the Court lists and can't find anything more - there certainly doesn't seem to be any more news
                      One brief item in Accountancy Age, dated 18th Sept 2013 said of the Old Bailey hearing "They (Gittins and Calcutt) asked for the case to be transferred to Liverpool Crown Court to make it easier for witnesses to attend." and "The duo are set return to Liverpool Crown Court to enter pleas to the charges in December with a trial expected to follow in spring 2014, the Liverpool Echo reports."

Probably still in progress and sub judice, I'd imagine.

Comment

Working...
                      X