• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
    Whilst he is happy to wade in with this comment about the K2 scheme and Mr. Carr I also watched him wading in at the G20 during a kick off business meeting advising wealthy French to move to the UK to avoid the high tax regime of their homeland.

David Cameron pledge: French react with fury as Cameron calls rates 'uncompetitive' and 'wrong' | Mail Online

Oh dear Mr. Cameron. If we're going to use turns of phrase on morality, I would suggest mon brave refrains from applying it to tax avoidance if you're quite happy to advise the French to avoid tax in their own country by coming here. Poaching comes to mind and I don't equate that to morality, do you?

I can hear Mnsr Hollande now - Touche!

Cameron family fortune made in tax havens | Politics | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingFireman View Post
      Email sent to Phillip Hollobone (Con).

Almost instant reply stating he was still waiting for a response from Gauke re my response to being 'Gauked' first time round.

I took that as he's not writing to him again. I think I might have to ask him to re-read the last 2 paragraphs, but as he is still not prepared to offer his own thoughts on the matter I have little hope he'll do much more.
      I didn't even get the courtesy of a direct reply from Phillip Hollobackbone - just a cc from him to Gauke, along the lines of "Dear Gaukey, please find attached a copy of Mr Morlock's eloquent email for your attention".

He's lost my vote for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
        Jimmy Carr on twitter

Im no longer involved in it and will in future conduct my financial affairs much more responsibly.

Apologies to everyone.
        Not such a Chatty Man now, is he?

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
          Not such a Chatty Man now, is he?
          thats Alan Carr

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
            He's lost my vote for sure.
            I think he'd be better utilised as Gauke's secretary as he has no opinion of his own.

Comment

Appointment made to see Fiona O'Donnell MP East Lothian

Friday afternoon.

Is there a presentation I can use for a laptop or iPad to get the message across in very limited time?

Comment

Nothing of real interest, but here's my response from John Hayes' (Con) assistant..
                Thank you for your email. The concerns you have raised will be considered by Mr Hayes, who will forward you a response in writing as soon as is possible.
                Last edited by nuffsaid; 21 June 2012, 09:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                  Friday afternoon.

Is there a presentation I can use for a laptop or iPad to get the message across in very limited time?
                  Has she had the briefing note? This is a must read for MPs.
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...May%202012.doc

You could walk her through these bullet points:
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...t%20points.rtf

You should also bring up the amendment being tabled for next Tuesday 26th.
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...amendment.docx

Comment

Hansard 18 june 2012

just found this:

Laurence Robertson (Tewkesbury, Conservative)
                    To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer how many people had to pay additional tax following the coming into force of section 58(4) of the Finance Act 2008; and if he will make a statement.

Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 18 June 2012, c723W)

David Gauke (Exchequer Secretary, HM Treasury; South West Hertfordshire, Conservative)
                    UK residents are taxable on their worldwide income wherever it arises—including situations where it arises by way of foreign partnerships. Section 58 of Finance Act 2008 was enacted to help put that beyond doubt and in so doing, made clear that a wholly artificial tax avoidance scheme involving a foreign partnership comprised of foreign trustees did not work. As section 58 retrospectively clarified existing legislation, its introduction had no affect on any taxpayers' tax position.
                    Gauke is still using 'clarified', and apparently section 58 had no affect on my tax position?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
                      just found this:

Gauke is still using 'clarified', and apparently section 58 had no affect on my tax position?
                      Well that's fine then. The Minister should know.

HMRC did not make a claim for additional tax prior to section 58 so pop a copy of Gauke's (woof woof) statement in the post to Hector.

Amusing that they used the word 'affect[ed]'.
                      There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Working...
                      X