• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    I do feel very strongly. A fundamental principle of natural justice is that there is certainty of action under the law at the time. That doesn't mean one knows at the time whether actions are compliant, but it does mean there should be an inviolate right to be judged under the law as it stood.
    Agreed 100%.

I only joined this thread to offer moral support to a friend of mine. It really doesn't take long for the sheer injustice of this to get inside one's head. Christ knows what this must be like for those who are directly affected.

What makes me furious is the way that s58 was reconciled with A1P1 by falsely portraying a swathe of ordinary people as hardened, pathological tax-evaders. That kind of misrepresentation strikes me as being an infringement of human rights all by itself.

Then there's the oppressive, psychological torture that goes with four years of this financial uncertainty.

I make that 3 infringements of human rights.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Old news. And why is DC responsible for what his family did when he was a child, or how his father conducted his affairs?
      I don’t think anyone is saying he is responsible for his father’s deeds – however, money inherited has a source and if someone feels strongly about – for example – tax avoidance then they do not need to accept that ‘tainted’ money. They could make a voluntary contribution to the Treasury or donate it to Charity. Oh hang on; donating to Charity is unacceptable tax avoidance these days. Forget what I said….

This is why we have LAW.
      There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Jimmy Carr and tax - Institute of Economic Affairs

An article about Jimmy Carr and extracts re retrospective changing the law by Len Shackleton, an Economist...

Jimmy Carr and tax | Institute of Economic Affairs

"And, incidentally, any changes in the law should be prospective rather than retrospective."

"Retrospective legislation and publicly shaming individuals are the methods of Putin’s Russia."

Comment

Letter sent by email to MP

Finally stopped lurking and commenced emailing - Theresa Villiers in my case - my second time of writing to her. Used the standard letter from NTRT website.

Comment

Mark Menzies MP - reply received by letter!

"Dear Mr X,

Thank you for contacting me about retrospective tax and Section 58 of the Finance Act 2008.

The Government set out its position on retrospection in the "Tackling Tax Avoidance" document, produced as part of the Budget 2011. The Government is clear that the deterrent effect of acting retrospectively needs to be balanced against the need for maintaining the UK tax system's reputation for predicatability, stability and simplicity. In particular the Protocol states that changes to the tax legislation where the change takes effect retrospectively will be wholly exceptional.

I am sorry to hear how the retrospective application of this law is threatening your livelihood. As I mentioned to you in my previous letter, I have already spoken to the Minister about Section 58(4) Finance Act 2008. I appreciate your very legitimate concerns on this matter and I think that you have raised some valuable points. As such, as requested, I have forwarded your correspondence to Dave Guake MP, Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, for further consideration. I will endevour to forward you the Minister's response in due course.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me"

Hmmmm - not sure if he's actually got the point and willing to support the amendment.

Comment

Received response from Jim Hood MP

Mr. Hood has asked me to thank you for your email and let you know that he has already raised the matter of the amendment with the Exchequer Secretary and he appreciates your interest in writing to him.

We will send you a copy of Mr Gauke's response as soon as we are able to do so.

Kind regards......

So no answer to my question of will Jim come out and support us? Especially as the flat response above alludes previous Gauke contact.

Comment

Another Interesting Article

Britain’s tax system is the real villain of the Jimmy Carr case - Telegraph

I'm really beginning to think the current exposure in the media of the Jimmy Carr/Take That situation is a positive thing. It raises awareness of the real situation and how broken this country really is...

(something sadly everyone on this forum is well aware of...)

Comment

Pandora's box is open

Jimmy Carr row: No 10 set to shelve plan to publish ministers' tax returns | Politics | guardian.co.uk

BBC News - Cameron ducks Gary Barlow tax avoidance question
                  There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Email to David Hanson MP (Delyn - Labour)

Done. At last
                    Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

"Downing Street has suggested it is preparing to abandon plans for David Cameron and senior ministers to disclose their tax returns, amid allegations of hypocrisy over the prime minister's decision to comment on Jimmy Carr's tax affairs."

I knew it! the hypocritical bar-stewards.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X