• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad News

Originally posted by dpthomas007 View Post
    Happy New Year to everyone.

I had a letter from HMRC dated 21 December 2012 with the following heading "Check Self Assessment Tax Return - Year ending 5 April 2011". When the law changed in March 2008 I then moved onto the loans scheme with Montpelier until November 2010. It seems that HMRC are now going to investigate me for that the period of 2010/11. HMRC have attached a copy of the letter that they have sent to Montpelier requesting various explanations.

Has anyone else received a similar letter?
    I've received enquiry letters for all returns from 2005 through to 2013. I think HMRC routinely send enquiry letters to all tax planning scheme users. Are NTRT able to clarify?
    Last edited by MMSguru; 2 January 2013, 14:53.
    http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MMSguru View Post
      I've received enquiry letters for all returns from 2005 through to 2013. I think HMRC routinely send enquiry letters to all tax planning scheme users. Are NTRT able to clarify?
      These days if you put anything on your tax return which indicates use of a scheme then it's pretty much automatic that HMRC open an enquiry.

There is no statutory time limit for them to complete enquiries and many get left open indefinitely, unless you force the issue by demanding closure (insisting they put up or shut up). Unsurprisingly, very few people are willing to put their head above the parapet and do this.

Comment

Good News

I had a letter from HMRC dated 21 December 2012 with the following heading "Check Self Assessment Tax Return - Year ending 5 April 2011".
        I think the Revenue can only open an enquiry up to 12 months from the date you filed your return with them. If they wrote to you on 21/12/12 then have they missed the 12 month deadline?
        http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MMSguru View Post
          I think the Revenue can only open an enquiry up to 12 months from the date you filed your return with them. If they wrote to you on 21/12/12 then have they missed the 12 month deadline?
          Year ending 5th April 2011 would have been filed Jan 2012, so 21/12/12 would be within the 12-month window.

Of course, even if they miss the window, they can still use discovery to open it late.

Heads they win, tails you lose.

Comment

Happy New Year to everyone

Happy New Year to everyone.

I had a letter from HMRC dated 21 December 2012 with the following heading "Check Self Assessment Tax Return - Year ending 5 April 2011". When the law changed in March 2008 I then moved onto the loans scheme with Montpelier until November 2010. It seems that HMRC are now going to investigate me for that the period of 2010/11. HMRC have attached a copy of the letter that they have sent to Montpelier requesting various explanations.

Has anyone else received a similar letter?
            I received one too
            Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              Year ending 5th April 2011 would have been filed Jan 2012, so 21/12/12 would be within the 12-month window.
              Is it 12 months from when you file it, or 12 months from the self assessment deadline.

Okay many people tend to file in late December/January, so often there isn't much difference.

But if you do file it in mid April, does that reduce the enquiry window by 9 months?

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                Is it 12 months from when you file it (A), or 12 months from the self assessment deadline. (B)

Okay many people tend to file in late December/January, so often there isn't much difference.

But if you do file it in mid April, does that reduce the enquiry window by 9 months?
                It used to be (B) but the rules changed at some point to (A).

Montpelier prepare returns for filing in late January so, as you observe, there isn't much any practical difference.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  Is it 12 months from when you file it, or 12 months from the self assessment deadline.

Yes. And they can only open an enquiry after the closure of the 12 month window by using their "discovery" protocol - which means that there must have been info missing from your return (either carelessly or deliberately). If you declare all the relevant info on your return, then there is nothing to discover, and you have a case for saying that the discovery protocol cannot be used. It makes sense to file your returns early, so that the window will close earlier.

Comment

just got a google alert I have setup against MP, this dounds ominous for those involved!:

International Adviser: HMRC to investigate investors in Manx tax avoidance scheme

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      just got a google alert I have setup against MP, this dounds ominous for those involved!:

International Adviser: HMRC to investigate investors in Manx tax avoidance scheme
                      I have no objection to HMRC challenging such schemes. I am quite happy for HMRC to challenge the double taxation scheme.

What I object to is retrospective legislation based on lies.

Comment

Working...
                      X