• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did hear of a case recently where HMRC contacted a guy's employer. He used to be a contractor in the scheme and is now permie.

It was highly embarrassing for him being called in, out of the blue, by the company's finance director to explain why HMRC were chasing him.

Comment

Settlement

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      There is alot more to this story isn't there?
      No there really isn't. He has to settle, and simply wants some advice on how he goes about doing it.

Another thought - has your friend contacted NW or TQ at Montp?
      TQ advised that HMRC do not negotiate with Montp.
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MMSguru View Post
        Friend of mine used the scheme for one year in 05/06 and is being forced (by his employer) to settle a 35k liability.
        Does anyone have any experience of negotiating a settlement with HMRC?

Could this be the situation where the individual concerned has had to fill in some sort of financial type questionaire and has to declare any outstanding HRMC enquires? Perhaps the employer/client (Government) deems they must settle else they won't offer him the contract? Could he not take out a CTD?

Comment

Settlement

Originally posted by SleepingFireman View Post
          Could he not take out a CTD?
          CTD isn't an option SF.
          http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            I did hear of a case recently where HMRC contacted a guy's employer. He used to be a contractor in the scheme and is now permie.

It was highly embarrassing for him being called in, out of the blue, by the company's finance director to explain why HMRC were chasing him.
            That is outrageous and in this sad world of progressive leftist liberalism is probably a breach of the individuals human rights. I would see legal advice if that happened to me.

Comment

I assume you sent onto NTRT? I got a reply asking me to suggest to my MP that he sends his researcher instead.
              Hi Brillo,

Yes, forwarded on to NTRT and received.

Cheers,

Grip

Comment

Originally posted by MMSguru View Post
                Friend of mine used the scheme for one year in 05/06 and is being forced (by his employer) to settle a 35k liability.
                Does anyone have any experience of negotiating a settlement with HMRC? Is it a case of contacting Mr Brannigan?
                Which scheme did this guy use? Was he using the CFD scheme that HMRC are suggesting is evasion, or did he claim DTA relief like the rest of us. How did his "employer" learn about the open HMRC enquiry?
                Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
                  That is outrageous and in this sad world of progressive leftist liberalism is probably a breach of the individuals human rights. I would see legal advice if that happened to me.
                  This sounds incredibly dodgy to me! HMRC approach an employer and say what exactly, there is an earlier tax liability on appeal, that may or may not be payable and then ask the employer to force the employee to pay it, or what they will fire him, on what grounds exactly? Sorry this doesn't add up.

Comment

HMRC publishes pictures of Britain's top tax cheats - Telegraph

Maybe we should have a website of HMRC's most lying tax inspectors?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

This sounds like a clear breach of that individual's human rights under Article 8 of the European Convention, which guarantees a "right to respect for privacy and family life" from state parties.

Comment

Working...
                      X