• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have no objection to HMRC challenging such schemes. I am quite happy for HMRC to challenge the double taxation scheme.

What I object to is retrospective legislation based on lies.
    Yep - looks like it's related to the link I posted on the previous page and dates back to the raid on their offices. It seems HMRC are going after them for fraud rather than avoidance.

Comment

Reply from my MP :-

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have contacted Ed Balls in the hope that he would give me information that I could use when writing to the government about this measure. Unfortunately I am still awaiting his response.

I would be interested in the briefing meeting but unfortunately I have several other commitments at that time. I will try to get their before the end but I am afraid I cannot promise. I would be very interested in reading any material from the meeting before writing to the minister so please send me anything you think might be relevant.

Best wishes

Clive Efford MP

Forwarded onto carl, DR & Santa.

Comment

Reply from my MP :-

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have contacted Ed Balls in the hope that he would give me information that I could use when writing to the government about this measure. Unfortunately I am still awaiting his response.

I would be interested in the briefing meeting but unfortunately I have several other commitments at that time. I will try to get their before the end but I am afraid I cannot promise. I would be very interested in reading any material from the meeting before writing to the minister so please send me anything you think might be relevant.

Best wishes

Clive Efford MP

Forwarded onto carl, DR & Santa.
        My response from David Tredinnick, Conservative MP:

"Dear nnnnn,

Thank you for your email.

I have in mind the meeting and will try and attend, other Parliamentary business permitting.

Kind regards,

David"

Glad I got a response, but not sure that it's a firm commitment. Finger's crossed though as this is the best way to try and get the right (true) information across.

Grip.

Comment

Originally posted by GripRacing View Post
          My response from David Tredinnick, Conservative MP:

"Dear nnnnn,

Thank you for your email.

I have in mind the meeting and will try and attend, other Parliamentary business permitting.

Kind regards,

David"

Glad I got a response, but not sure that it's a firm commitment. Finger's crossed though as this is the best way to try and get the right (true) information across.

Grip.
          I assume you sent onto NTRT? I got a reply asking me to suggest to my MP that he sends his researcher instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
            Yes. And they can only open an enquiry after the closure of the 12 month window by using their "discovery" protocol - which means that there must have been info missing from your return (either carelessly or deliberately). If you declare all the relevant info on your return, then there is nothing to discover, and you have a case for saying that the discovery protocol cannot be used. It makes sense to file your returns early, so that the window will close earlier.
            Not quite that easy, HMRC claim they can use discovery even if returns are complete. Their reasoning: not enough information was provided for them to realise they needed to open an enquiry. Another case of HMRC are all powerful

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
              Not quite that easy, HMRC claim they can use discovery even if returns are complete. Their reasoning: not enough information was provided for them to realise they needed to open an enquiry. Another case of HMRC are all powerful
              I think the Discovery Rules state that they can use discovery where the information provided would not have been obvious to a retarded monkey.

Comment

Settlement

Friend of mine used the scheme for one year in 05/06 and is being forced (by his employer) to settle a 35k liability.
                Does anyone have any experience of negotiating a settlement with HMRC? Is it a case of contacting Mr Brannigan?
                http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MMSguru View Post
                  Friend of mine used the scheme for one year in 05/06 and is being forced (by his employer) to settle a 35k liability.
                  Does anyone have any experience of negotiating a settlement with HMRC? Is it a case of contacting Mr Brannigan?
                  What liability? I have no liability! None of us have a liability. HMRC sent me a closure notice, Montp appealed it.

Is your friend contract or permanent?

Comment

Settlement

Is your friend contract or permanent?
                    Fighting is not an option for him. He has to settle. He's a contractor.
                    http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MMSguru View Post
                      Fighting is not an option for him. He has to settle. He's a contractor.
                      How has his client found out about the "liability"? And how was the "liability" been incurred?

Now if HMRC were to try to enforce collection, and the appeals process runs out, then we will get a liability. This will take years. But that would not stop us working as contractors. Bankruptcy would. But we are a long long way off that.

There is alot more to this story isn't there?

Another thought - has your friend contacted NW or TQ at Montp?

Comment

Working...
                      X