• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD - Always professional service, however found out about FreeAgent and all of its Beauty. Although SJD were happy to produce accounts based on Free Agent, they could not reduce fees or provide a discount on FreeAgent at the time, August 2015. Cost went up at my company year end along with change of accountant, so took the opportunity to move on. Very professional throughout. Smooth handover to new accountants, although I chose year end. Reason for leaving was purely down to cost and FreeAgent. Things may have changed since then but Spreadsheet was not the way forward for me. Was with SJD for my first three years of trading.

BI Accountancy - FreeAgent included in package, cheaper package than SJD. Refunded annual cost of FreeAgent I had already paid when moved into BI. Always very helpful with requests, and there have been a lot recently from me. FreeAgent integration makes it easier for both sides to work effectively and all seems to just happen behind the scenes, although I submit my own VAT. 2 years with BI now, looking forward to a 3rd.

Comment

For any FreeAgent people thinking of doing their own VAT returns and saving moneyas a result. It is incredibly easy to DIY. The first time including setting the VAT up i the government gateway took maybe 15 to 20 minutes. There after it is maybe 10 minutes a quarter to do. I recommend DIY for VAT.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        For any FreeAgent people thinking of doing their own VAT returns and saving moneyas a result. It is incredibly easy to DIY. The first time including setting the VAT up i the government gateway took maybe 15 to 20 minutes. There after it is maybe 10 minutes a quarter to do. I recommend DIY for VAT.
        But get an accountant for the other stuff.... Who do VAT as part of the package?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          But get an accountant for the other stuff.... Who do VAT as part of the package?
          What's that loud "whooshing" sound? Point missed 100%, must try harder.

My last accountant charged GBP 10 a month less if you did your own VAT (with FreeAgent, of course). A tenner month is small beer, but GBP 120 a year will buy me and Mrs Bloggs a rather nice evening out. To me, that's ample reward for spending 10 minutes a quarter submitting my own VAT return. Naturally enough, other opinions are available etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            What's that loud "whooshing" sound? Point missed 100%, must try harder.

My last accountant charged GBP 10 a month less if you did your own VAT (with FreeAgent, of course). A tenner month is small beer, but GBP 120 a year will buy me and Mrs Bloggs a rather nice evening out. To me, that's ample reward for spending 10 minutes a quarter submitting my own VAT return. Naturally enough, other opinions are available etc.....
            It takes that long? :P

Comment

Originally posted by AJ1982 View Post
              SJD - Always professional service, however found out about FreeAgent and all of its Beauty. Although SJD were happy to produce accounts based on Free Agent, they could not reduce fees or provide a discount on FreeAgent at the time, August 2015. Cost went up at my company year end along with change of accountant, so took the opportunity to move on. Very professional throughout. Smooth handover to new accountants, although I chose year end. Reason for leaving was purely down to cost and FreeAgent. Things may have changed since then but Spreadsheet was not the way forward for me. Was with SJD for my first three years of trading.

BI Accountancy - FreeAgent included in package, cheaper package than SJD. Refunded annual cost of FreeAgent I had already paid when moved into BI. Always very helpful with requests, and there have been a lot recently from me. FreeAgent integration makes it easier for both sides to work effectively and all seems to just happen behind the scenes, although I submit my own VAT. 2 years with BI now, looking forward to a 3rd.
              BI Accountancy give a great service, Michael's got a good operation going there.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ1982 View Post
                It takes that long? :P
                Yeah, I type with one finger only.

Comment

Originally posted by cde View Post
                  Can anyone recommend an accountant in Gloucestershire or Central London that can cater for both a bog standard Ltd contractor but also more complex matters like SPVs for property letting and other business activities that might lead to using a group structure etc?
                  Try Dolan Accountancy, you'll find Simon posting on here and the team are really helpful there.

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                    Try Dolan Accountancy, you'll find Simon posting on here and the team are really helpful there.
                    Bias!!!
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Bias!!!
                      You've been like this ever since Dan was nice to me....
                      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Working...
                      X