• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies, not trying to make concrete statements, just saying that a qualified accountant is a good starting point.

Comment

In Dispair With Accountants

Hello all

I am new to the contracting world.
      Started with via an Umbrella – “felt” that I was losing a lot and decided to go Ltd.

Then all started to go in a “difficult way” ...

…because of Accountants…

1) Tried ClearSky : I’ve believed that the best way to go was the SuperDupperPremiumPlatinumPackage (sorry couldn’t resist) – that would included everything…

“Don’t worry, you have your personal accountant” – they’ve said – “e-mails and calls will be answered very quickly and precisely” – they’ve said – “we will do everything for you, no worries” –they’ve said (among many other promises)

Reality:
      - Many mistakes made at the start (expenses wrong, my name wrong, etc, etc);
      - Salary wrong on payslip (causing me issues until now);
      - Misleading and incorrect information in what to do – always a promptly excuse was made such as “ … it was just a misunderstanding…”;
      - I had to keep an eye and checking “their homework” to be sure all was correct;
      - Too much stress dealing with them, decided to leave…

2) Decided to move to CloudAccountant – recommended by a fellow contractor.

Before joining, I’ve emphasize to them that due a bad experience, I would like to understand how would work, how to get out if they were not as promised, etc.

“The transitions will be simple and efficient, our team will take care of everything “ – they’ve said – “ we will keep you informed all the way” – they’ve said – “we will set FreeAgent, quickly and efficiently” – they’ve said – “unlimited e-mail and phone support” – they’ve said - (many other things have been said, as you can gather…)

Reality:
      - Freeagent wasn’t set properly, couldn’t access it initially, missing details (VAT) etc (I’ve contacted FreeAgent support and they’ve said “Unfortunately we can’t do anything, is up to your accountant”);
      - No answer on emails for help/support – if any answer, veryyyy delayed;
      - Transition from accountant: nightmare: no updates, even after chasing several times (the previous accountant sent the details, CloudAccountant said that it “went to wrong e-mail” – meaning they didn’t even chase the previous accountant, even though I was chasing Cloud Accountant regularly;
      - Receive documents from HMRC, contact them: no answer;
      - More documents from HMRC, contacted them: no answer;
      - Escalation: them some answers/help;
      - Issues from previous account Payslip, asked for help to clarify - no answer;
      - Issues with Tax year on FreeAgent – answer after 9 days…
      - After many (many) e-mails unanswered, another escalation:
      Their answer? In short terms: “The level of support you need is not compatible with the package you have”
      Even though no one ever answers they on-line chat (tried many times , stayed there for 30, 40 minutes and nothing) , e-mails, etc. , perhaps if I pay more , all will start working I suppose……….
      (Will stop here, the list is too long.)

So, here I am : is there any decent , professional accountant that can help with the issues above, is on the ball, answer queries in a timely manner, is keen in rectifying mistakes promptly and take responsibility for a reasonable monthly fee?

Sorry all but I am getting very depressed with all this and at the point of going back permie to be honest.

Opinions? (even calling me an idiot is welcome).

Cheers

newITChap

Comment

I have been pleasantly surprised by the accountant I have been using the last few months. They use FreeAgent too so they could easily take over your account for you. They are the cheapest FreeAgent accountant out there that I know of but the support so far (by email only so far) has been very, very good. Far better than my big name accounting firm that I used previously and paid about 40% more for the privilege of a worse service.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Hi NewITChap

Sounds like you've had a bad experience from two different accountants so not as plain sailing as it should be for sure. Before NLUK comes along I'll get one in there, is contracting right for you? Thinking of going back to Permie land just because of a bad experience with accountants, it must have been bad to put that in your mind!

Anyway, joking aside, any decent accountant should be able to help you and if you stick with a Freeagent accountant the transfer should be relatively straight forward, other than potentially sorting out the mess of information being spread across two different accountancy firms but this depends to a big extent on how long you have been trading (not long from the sounds of it).

There are plenty of accountants on here, ourselves included, that use Freeagent and it works really well. Some of the other guys are Maslins, Alan@BroomeAffinity etc.

If you were looking for a personal recommendation drop Fred a PM, he seems quite happy with his accountant and I would take a recommendation from him quite highly in my opinion.

Who ever you do move to you should still keep your eye on the ball, you need to understand what is going on with your company and can't just leave everything to your accountant. That said, they should be able to explain everything to you so you are happy with the advice being given.

Martin
          Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            I have been pleasantly surprised by the accountant I have been using the last few months. They use FreeAgent too so they could easily take over your account for you. They are the cheapest FreeAgent accountant out there that I know of but the support so far (by email only so far) has been very, very good. Far better than my big name accounting firm that I used previously and paid about 40% more for the privilege of a worse service.
            Fred - Many thanks.

Although every "story" has two sides, I've decided to name the Accountant firms in here to help fellow "newbies" when they Google and get into this tread.

Will PM you shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
              Hi NewITChap

Sounds like you've had a bad experience from two different accountants so not as plain sailing as it should be for sure. Before NLUK comes along I'll get one in there, is contracting right for you? Thinking of going back to Permie land just because of a bad experience with accountants, it must have been bad to put that in your mind!
              Yep, Contracting is not right for me, Permie is not right for me, well the whole working "thinggy" is not right for me... but unfortunately the bills keep coming via the letter box... trying to do the best of a bad situation

Jokes aside, yes the Accountant "Firms" (at the time of writing) have been put very low on my personal views.

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
              Anyway, joking aside, any decent accountant should be able to help you and if you stick with a Freeagent accountant the transfer should be relatively straight forward, other than potentially sorting out the mess of information being spread across two different accountancy firms but this depends to a big extent on how long you have been trading (not long from the sounds of it).

There are plenty of accountants on here, ourselves included, that use Freeagent and it works really well. Some of the other guys are Maslins, Alan@BroomeAffinity etc.

If you were looking for a personal recommendation drop Fred a PM, he seems quite happy with his accountant and I would take a recommendation from him quite highly in my opinion.

Who ever you do move to you should still keep your eye on the ball, you need to understand what is going on with your company and can't just leave everything to your accountant. That said, they should be able to explain everything to you so you are happy with the advice being given.

Martin
              Contratax Ltd

Thank you very much for the advise.

Indeed , it is my business, so I do keep an eye (well BOTH EYES :-) ) in the ball - that is why all this is extremely frustrating to me.

Cheers

newITChap

Comment

Originally posted by newITChap View Post
                Yep, Contracting is not right for me, Permie is not right for me, well the whole working "thinggy" is not right for me... but unfortunately the bills keep coming via the letter box... trying to do the best of a bad situation

Jokes aside, yes the Accountant "Firms" (at the time of writing) have been put very low on my personal views.

Thank you very much for the advise.

Indeed , it is my business, so I do keep an eye (well BOTH EYES :-) ) in the ball - that is why all this is extremely frustrating to me.

Cheers

newITChap
                Hopefully you'll get the new accountant sorted and things will start to run smoothly for you. It shouldn't be as much trouble as you've mentioned as you actually sound like you'd be a really good client!

Martin
                Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by newITChap View Post

Wait until you start dealing with the recruitment agencies...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Wait until you start dealing with the recruitment agencies...
                    Oh well, although my nickname here is newITChap , I am not that new on the "lovely" world of IT : I've being dealing with those "nice people" from recruitment agencies for a longggg time - since i don't have a single word (not a single one) to say about them, will just smile :-)

I wouldn't expect "them" to be any better from the Contracting arena. (And indeed they aren't )

Cheers
                    newITChap - well not that new

Comment

Different take home pay... So confused!

Hi

I've been contracting but have been paid PAYE for the last year and now looking to make the move to limited company.

I've had a look at InTouch and Gorilla and SJD accountancy firms, the take home pay with SJD is a few hundred pounds higher than any other I've seen. Is this right? Which would anyone recommend for a "first timer"?

I've checked out Gorilla and it mentions a take home pay and then additionally reserves. Will this apply to all of the accountancy firms?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X