• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD is too expensive now and their spreadsheet is getting a bit behind the times. I left them to go to Gorilla who a FreeAgent accountant and it's definitely the way to go. Gorilla have a number of ex SJD peeps so you've got their experience and FA for a much better price.

The take home pay is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme. Different accountants have a different view on the exact number so could be anywhere between 8k-11k (ish). When you speak to your accountant they will justify why they believe it should be this and then see if you are comfortable with it.

I'd guess the reserves is talking about leaving money in the company to cover tax liabilities, to be tax efficient and even maybe warning about keeping a war chest. You will earn more in a year that will push over the next tax bracket so if you don't need it sometimes it's more efficient to keep it in the company and withdraw at a better time etc.

As a customer of theirs I'd they are pretty good at taking the time to go through stuff like this but to be fair any of the ones you named would be as well. It's basic stuff.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 October 2016, 08:38.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AFLondon View Post
      Hi

I've been contracting but have been paid PAYE for the last year and now looking to make the move to limited company.

I've had a look at InTouch and Gorilla and SJD accountancy firms, the take home pay with SJD is a few hundred pounds higher than any other I've seen. Is this right? Which would anyone recommend for a "first timer"?

I've checked out Gorilla and it mentions a take home pay and then additionally reserves. Will this apply to all of the accountancy firms?

Thanks!
      I have personal experience of both InTouch and Gorilla.

InTouch have their own portal , Gorilla uses Free agent.

As a tool, FA is head and shoulders above ....I don't have to do dividend paperwork, invoices are quicker and easier and bank transactions are much much quicker.

I save nearly an hour per month now I am with a FA Accountant. As an added bonus Gorilla are cheaper than InTouch as well

Get a free demo of FA and InTouch's portal and I would be amazed if you didn't feel FA was way ahead.

If you do decide to go with InTouch pay very careful attention to their T and Cs. I've just learnt the hard way that they have little time for you once you mention leaving them...which has cost me some money. I wouldn't recommend them based on my personal experience but they no doubt have many happy customers on here.

I wouldn't choose an Accountant based on a generic calculator . They should all be advising the same 'rules 'and your situation will be unique.

Comment

Having just had SJD 10%price increase I am now looking around. I am very tempted by Gorilla due to the good reports seen on here. I will wait for my year end though. Only a couple of months away.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
          Having just had SJD 10%price increase I am now looking around. I am very tempted by Gorilla due to the good reports seen on here. I will wait for my year end though. Only a couple of months away.
          I've got no complaints with them. Whoever you go with I can't recommend free agent enough. It will change your life

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
            I've got no complaints with them. Whoever you go with I can't recommend free agent enough. It will change your life
            This +1.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              When you said just had an SJD price increase - Are you sure ? Wasn't there a price rise last year?

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                When you said just had an SJD price increase - Are you sure ? Wasn't there a price rise last year?
                No, My Monthly SJD Accountancy Rate has just gone up this month from £132 inc VAT to £144 inc VAT.

Comment

Has anyone had any dealings with DNS Associates? I spoke with them at length but they almost sound too good to be true. Has anyone had any dealings with them at all?

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good accountant who's familiar with people with multiple citizenships? I've been offered some consulting work and after doing a fair bit of reading it looks like a limited company will be the best way to handle it. I'm a UK resident and citizen but also have other citizenships, as well as savings and next-of-kin overseas, and want to find an accountant to work with who'll be aware of any issues I need to take into account on that front.

(I did try searching the forums for "citizenship" but ended up with a deluge of threads and posts about Brexit...)

Comment

Working in London, using Dynamo in Leeds

I work in London and use Dynamo Accounts up in Leeds.
                      Have had a great service from them ever since I signed up earlier in the year.
                      Darren, the chap heading the contractor side of things, is always available and willing to help.
                      Was in a tricky situation when I started contracting a while back and he helped me out considerably; recommending a solution and helping me to implement it.
                      He went well beyond what I expected.
                      Also, it’s nice to know that your first point of contact at Dynamo is a Chartered Accountant, so the advice you receive is always credible.
                      Can’t recommend them highly enough.
                      Oh and they use FreeAgent too!!

I don't know if they can help you with multiple citizenship issues, but Dynamo is the contractor’s side of Hentons, a well established accountancy firm in Leeds. I’m sure if they can’t help you they will recommend someone who can.

Comment

Working...
                      X