• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xero Accounting

Well I heard accountants that use Xero Accounting to offer their clients are more appealing. True? Any use of this software?

Comment

Originally posted by kohli25 View Post
      Well I heard accountants that use Xero Accounting to offer their clients are more appealing. True? Any use of this software?
      doubt it, compared to crunch's website which contained everything you want last time I looked...
      Last edited by eek; 28 April 2014, 18:31.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by kohli25 View Post
        I've dealt with Xero and I'd probably say it's a bit overkill for contracting clients. Most of my clients that want an online solution prefer Freeagent which is more tailored to contractors, Xero is generally more suited to 'bigger' SME's.

I think both of them offer free trials so if you are considering using one then just have a free trial and compare them yourself. Also, if you currently have an accountant speak to them as to which one they prefer to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Martin
        Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
          I've dealt with Xero and I'd probably say it's a bit overkill for contracting clients. Most of my clients that want an online solution prefer Freeagent which is more tailored to contractors, Xero is generally more suited to 'bigger' SME's.

I think both of them offer free trials so if you are considering using one then just have a free trial and compare them yourself. Also, if you currently have an accountant speak to them as to which one they prefer to deal with.
          I agree with this freeagent is more tailored to towards contractors.

While Xero is not although it is good for the SME's that Martin mentioned.

speak to your accountant as he or she may be able to recommend accounting software.

Comment

Xero

Having used both and I have sided with Xero. Here's the reasons, although haven't used FA for a good while;

- FA is £25 + VAT per month, Xero is £9 + VAT
            - Bank reconciliations are a doddle, and I mean *very* easy with the bank feed
            - Its easy to upload all my scanned documents (receipts) to attach with transactions
            - Supports over 30 reports
            - Has accountant login capabilities
            - Includes a budgeting tool
            - Configurable, but not enough to get into trouble
            - Handles flat rate VAT very easily
            - I personally find it more intuitive than FA

As mentioned, I haven't used FA for quite a long time, so I'm sure it has improved. But Xero is the first service where I haven't spotted obvious improvements after using it for a while. For me, it is something can't find a reason to move from - I only use the basics, but it can do so much more.

Comment

Both Xero and FreeAgent are brilliant pieces of software in my opinion.

As contractors seem to prefer to be more involved with their financial affairs, providing them with online software is perfect, as it allows accountants to be accountants rather than just bookkeepers - i.e. spend more time geared around providing advice and less time balancing a spreadsheet.

Personally though, I find FreeAgent more suitable for contractors as it's easier to master.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn @ Carpenter Box LLP View Post
                <Shameless plug stuff>
                Want me to start a thread recommending people selling carpenters boxes?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cheers nluk I did speak to Glenn earlier and pointed out the rules! I don't see this as totally blatant marketing - he is just expressing an opinion on the software. Admittedly the last post was about a month ago so you could argue that the corpse was still warm...

Glenn, welcome to the forum

Comment

That's me waving hello to Glenn...Welcome
                    Last edited by Craig@Clarity; 8 July 2014, 16:48. Reason: Adding a message

Comment

Yes, we will be keeping an eye and that eye will be quite jaundiced if any further accountants pile in here with a "+1" for freeagent or whatever...
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X