• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'IR35 Friendly' Contracts not really so friendly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'IR35 Friendly' Contracts not really so friendly

A judgement was handed down from the Supreme Court 27/7/11 in the case of Autoclenz v Belcher; despite the fact that the contractors had a written contract which had a substitution clause and no mutuality of obligation the workers were still considered, by the court, to be employees and not contractors.

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/...8_Judgment.pdf
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    A judgement was handed down from the Supreme Court 27/7/11 in the case of Autoclenz v Belcher; despite the fact that the contractors had a written contract which had a substitution clause and no mutuality of obligation the workers were still considered, by the court, to be employees and not contractors.

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/...8_Judgment.pdf
    Have you read the full judgement I haven't read the gory details yet but note the following example they used:-

Contract from 18 June 1991 with no right to substitution but avoiding employing them direct.

review in 2004 stating they looked and smelt like employees.

New documents in 2007 try and get them outside IR35. Working practice don't seem to change but the document pretends that they have.

Now given that information they really were taking the mickey here and I'm surprised the judgement wasn't an awful lot short. f*** off you are taking the mickey seems would have been my learned opinion and response.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Actually I have read the whole thing Eek and oddly enough the learned opinion was very much the same as yours..only with more words in
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

..the ET was entitled to hold that the documents did not reflect the true agreement between the parties and that, on the basis of the ET’s findings, four essential contractual terms were agreed:

(1) that the valeters would perform the services defined in the contract for Autoclenz within a reasonable time and in a good and workmanlike manner;
        (2) that the valeters would be paid for that work;
        (3) that the valeters were obliged to carry out the work offered to them and Autoclenz undertook to offer work; and
        (4) that the valeters must personally do the work and could not provide a substitute to do so.

See in particular, per Aikens LJ at para 97. It follows that, applying the principles identified above, the Court of Appeal was correct to hold that those were the true
        terms of the contract and that the ET was entitled to disregard the terms of the
        written documents, in so far as they were inconsistent with them.
        Working practices override the contracts. Which we knew already.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Working practices override the contracts. Which we knew already.
          But only if the one or more of the parties dispute the contracts.

IR35 cases are different, in that it's is a 3rd party disputing the validity of a contract between two other parties.

I assume these valeters were 'sole traders' then.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Surprises and disappoints me that cases like that go as far as they do in the judicial system. What a waste of time and resources.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Surprises and disappoints me that cases like that go as far as they do in the judicial system. What a waste of time and resources.
              It doesn't surprise me but it does disappoint me. It was a clear case of caught by IR35 but trying to avoid it as a tax dodge.

Worse its designed to allow them to pay their workers peanuts.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Out of interest, what would happen if you had a really "IR35 caught" contract but your actual working practices were outside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Worse its designed to allow them to pay their workers peanuts.
                  As my understanding goes, that's exactly what IR35 was meant to accomplish. It was never meant to be a tool for beating contractors who earn substantially more than permies.

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
                    Out of interest, what would happen if you had a really "IR35 caught" contract but your actual working practices were outside IR35?
                    You would be flogged and throw to the lions for being such a moron you allow your contract to look IR35 caught when the most important thing is fine.

Either that or the contractor in question would ask what to do on here when I am not having a good day. Either way, much the same end.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X