• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swede View Post
    i know you never make mistooks :-) my faith is now restored.
    I should have made it a clarification!!

However, I did some research on RIPA and Richie Benaud used the word plenty of times so should be taken seriously....

Comment

Originally posted by Ganimos
      To all you very BRAVE people taking these issues forward please be very very careful.

You are taking on the Government. The legally elected power in the Country.

Taking on the Government is also a very very serious offence.

You may have the TRUTH on your side ………but …….

Have a look at the RIPA act they are in TOTAL control.

Have a look at the powers the government of the day have.

Have a look at the powers H.M.R.C. have under R.I.P.A.

Arrests and convictions can't even be reported in the press

Be very very careful.

I KNOW things are happening.
      Um. I was with you on the first post. Not too sure about this one though...

This is a thread for rational debate and discussion. I do not consider an excessive use of CAPITALS WITH BOLD UNDERLINING terribly rational and I will take steps to calm things down if it continues.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
        it helps us because the long list of people that signed that letter are heavy hitters (including the CBI) and hence our Gment needs to be aware that retro legislation without warning can cause people's faith in UK plc to evaporate. Financially, its a serious matter.
        Yep, may as well go and set up a business in India instead. Oh hang on a minute....

How ironic though, that Osborne is complaining about retrospective taxation in India.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Blast from the past

Some weeks before Alan Shepard's first American sub-orbital flight into space and beaten by the USSR and after many, many failed launches of unmanned Redstone rockets where the standard comment in the Press was "our launches always fail and our rockets always blow up", a newspaper hack at the Cape asked a test pilot about Shepards chances of success with "what if you fail?". The pilot stared him straight in the eye and said "But supposing we succeed?"

That pilot was one Neil Armstrong. Here endeth the lesson.
          Last edited by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing; 2 April 2012, 18:50.

Comment

I have had a couple of phone chats and swapped emails with a Telegraph journalist today - I will keep everyone updated.

Its very freaky seeing the UK criticize India when the UK does exactly thec same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I have had a couple of phone chats and swapped emails with a Telegraph journalist today - I will keep everyone updated.

Its very freaky seeing the UK criticize India when the UK does exactly thec same thing!
              - there's an opportunity here to highlight the hypocrisy, and the press might even back us, provided they can stick the boot in to the Government.

Comment

A chink of light

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Things are looking up

And just to lighten the mood, at this time of year, let's our attentions think of a long-haired man who dies on a cross. Happy Easter, Andy Carroll
                Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

I wonder why George Osborne is so keen to take up Vodafone's case with the Indian government.

Wonder if £250k and a 5 course meal had anything to do with it?
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

MP visit

I met with my MP today which was very encouraging.

He's a Tory MP and very suprised at what HMRC have done. Recognised that retrospective legislation is very controversial and sympathised with my/our situation.

I shared the timeline of events, the difference with the 1987 legislation and the 2008 legislation. The emails from David Gauke opposing the legislation, the date I first received a demand for money from HMRC and the technical discussion with senior HMRC officials. We discussed Barclays bank and the recent Port Authority case where the retrospective nature of their tax was waivered (which he wasn't aware of).

I shared much of the content already posted here by TSBT, DR and others which all in all, was enough him to sit up and take notice.

He's currently waiting for a response from the Chancellor after which we are due to discuss again and set some next steps. He's also asked me to provide some further detail and information to help him with our case.

For me, I felt much better for taking time to see my MP. I honesly believe that for your MP to see you in person makes the whole situation much more "real" and tangible. I recommend that all other lurkers and posters on this site support and see their local MP. I feel there is momentum and the more we have the more weight our story will carry.

So to all those who haven't done so yet, get off your arses, write a letter and let your MP know what's going on. Forget the pub, forget the football, this is far more important, c'mon just get on with it...

Comment

Treasury committee

Originally posted by VictorValiant View Post
                      "Thank you for writing to the Treasury Committee. As you may have seen, Andrew Tyrie MP, Chairman of the Treasury Committee, made the following comments regarding retrospective taxation:

"Can retrospection be reconciled with the certainty a tax system needs in order to deliver an efficient economy? A simpler, more stable and fairer tax system is less likely to excite demands for retrospection.

"Any action the Government takes on this is likely to be something the Committee would want to look at as part of our study into the Budget."

The Chairman's comments were prompted by the actions HMRC took with regard to Barclays. This follows on from work the Committee previously undertook on the principles of tax policy.

I am sorry to hear about the distress caused to you by the changes introduced by Section 58 of the Finance Act 2008. I will ensure your concerns are drawn to the attention of the Members of the Committee. The Committee has not announced a specific inquiry into retrospective taxation but may look at this subject as part of its forthcoming work on the 2012 Budget. Your email will be useful background material to any work the Committee undertakes in this area.

Thank you for taking the trouble to write to the Committee."
                      Sorry for the delay...
                      I had a response :

Thank you for writing to the Treasury Committee. As you may have seen, Andrew Tyrie MP, Chairman of the Treasury Committee, made the following comments regarding retrospective taxation:
                      “Can retrospection be reconciled with the certainty a tax system needs in order to deliver an efficient economy? A simpler, more stable and fairer tax system is less likely to excite demands for retrospection.
                      "Any action the Government takes on this is likely to be something the Committee would want to look at as part of our study into the Budget.”
                      The Chairman’s comments were prompted by the actions HMRC took with regard to Barclays. This follows on from work the Committee previously undertook on the principles of tax policy.

I am sorry to hear about the distress caused to you by the changes introduced by Section 58 of the Finance Act 2008. I will ensure your concerns are drawn to the attention of the Members of the Committee. The Committee has not announced a specific inquiry into retrospective taxation but may look at this subject as part of its forthcoming work on the 2012 Budget. Your email will be useful background material to any work the Committee undertakes in this area.

Thank you for taking the trouble to write to the Committee.

Looks the same...ho hum more cut and paste responses.

Is it just me or do people think Jane Kennedy is a thick as two planks! - maybe we should make her the first target for retrospective MP expenses.

Comment

Working...
                      X