• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GottaBeOptimistic View Post
    For me, I felt much better for taking time to see my MP. I honesly believe that for your MP to see you in person makes the whole situation much more "real" and tangible. I recommend that all other lurkers and posters on this site support and see their local MP. I feel there is momentum and the more we have the more weight our story will carry.

So to all those who haven't done so yet, get off your arses, write a letter and let your MP know what's going on. Forget the pub, forget the football, this is far more important, c'mon just get on with it...
    WHS. Face to face meetings are proving far more effective.

And by the way, please keep sending me your feedback forms.
    Wikisend: free file sharing service

Please be assured that this will remain strictly confidential. The information is merely to determine where we are getting support.

Comment

There is a much bigger purpose to writing to and meeting your MP.

Something is coming but I can't say what it is at the moment so please don't ask.

Watch this space...

Comment

300M - seriously?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Just heard that de Graaf have joined the talks with Montp, Steed, PwC et al.

Between them they account for the majority of the 3000 users and £300M tax revenue.
        I don't understand how 3000 IT contractors could amount to as much as 300M in Tax revenues. How did they get that figure?

Comment

Originally posted by freedomfighter View Post
          I don't understand how 3000 IT contractors could amount to as much as 300M in Tax revenues. How did they get that figure?
          Multiply my liability by 3000 and it is more than that and I dont owe as much as some.
          http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Guidance & Advice

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
            Dear everyone - if you are about to see your MP or have booked a meeting etc please please please advertise the fact on this forum as early as possible so that you can be PM'd some useful proven guidance and advice.
            How do I get PM'd (not an IT person)?

Comment

Originally posted by nolongerlurker View Post
              How do I get PM'd (not an IT person)?
              See the "Private Messages" link top left of this page. Send Dieselpower a private message to get the info.
              Last edited by TalkingCheese; 3 April 2012, 12:14. Reason: Dieselpower lower case P !

Comment

Originally posted by freedomfighter View Post
                It's not just IT contractors. Property developers also used it, and one in the PwC consortium put £60m through.

Comment

Letter to my MP

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my prior letter with regard to S58 of the 2008 Finance Act (the infamous BN66)

You will be aware that the chancellor decided to do nothing to rectify the massive injustice this malicious bill - introduced by the last Labour Govt and vehemently opposed in the Treasury Committee by both then parties of opposition - is causing.

To add insult to injury its being reported today that this same chacellor is critising the Indian Tax authorities over their attempts to introduce similar retrospective 'clarification' which will result in a £1.4bn tax bill to Vodafone. He states 'India should levy taxes in a predictable and sustainable way', 'plans to retrospectively allow capital-gains tax .. dating back 50 years will reduce investment into the country'. Admittedly the retrospection affecting me and some 3000 others in the same position only goes back 20 years, but surely the principle is the same.

It would appear to be one rule for multi national companies and another for ordinary people. I have no problem any government closing a tax loophole, but backdating the change is just wrong. Make no mistake this bill is in the processing of potentially bankrupting 3000 people, affecting thousands more spouses and children, people will be ruined, marriages will break down, children harmed. My own daughter may not be able to go to university this year because of it.

I urge you to do whatever is in your power to make the government change its mind and repeal the retropective elements of this bill.

Hope this reads ok.. am curious to know whats coming..

Comment

Originally posted by p4nd4b34r View Post
                    ...repeal the retropective elements of this bill...
                    Maybe good to use "remove the retrospective element of this bill via an amendment" rather than "repeal..." as George Osborne has already used the word repeal in his non-supportive response via MPs. If you have already sent then please ignore

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      Maybe good to use "remove the retrospective element of this bill via an amendment" rather than "repeal..." as George Osborne has already used the word repeal in his non-supportive response via MPs. If you have already sent then please ignore

thanks, changed accordingly. had it in writetothem in another window.

Spell checked and sent, easy peasy.. If you havent already done this just do it..

The forum seems mobilsed at the moment.. just hope something comes of it.. I really dont want our first major news story to be a suicide
                      Last edited by p4nd4b34r; 3 April 2012, 12:53.

Comment

Working...
                      X