• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Substantial Travel Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substantial Travel Expenses

Travelling abroad for several weeks and buying accommodation/travel through my personal credit card, to claim back from the company.

However I don't have sufficient personal funds for all this and won't be ready to sort out all the totals until we return... so I need to get money from the company in some way so the credit card bill is met.

Rather than take a dividend to ensure I have personal funds, can the company pre-pay a chunk of cash now as "expected expenses", then the remainder later when I submit my expenses officially?

We're talking maybe £3000.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Travelling abroad for several weeks and buying accommodation/travel through my personal credit card, to claim back from the company.

However I don't have sufficient personal funds for all this and won't be ready to sort out all the totals until we return... so I need to get money from the company in some way so the credit card bill is met.

Rather than take a dividend to ensure I have personal funds, can the company pre-pay a chunk of cash now as "expected expenses", then the remainder later when I submit my expenses officially?

We're talking maybe £3000.
    You've just described the correct purpose of a director's loan. Take one and deal with it afterwards.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Why not process a payment weekly as you incur the costs?

Or pay with the company debit card?

Comment

Take it as cash advanced for expenses. If it's outstanding for less than a month then there's no benefit in kind issues regardless of how much it is, so you should be fine for several weeks, and the expense claims can be submitted to ensure the value advanced decreases as you go.

This is assuming you have no current directors' loan.

Or, get a company credit card.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          Or, get a company credit card.
          +1

This makes things easier on so many levels. Easier to track company versus personal expenses and generally looks better if you’re ever audited (IMO).

Comment

I have a company debit card but not a credit card. Also though, it gets more complicated sorting travel insurance if you are not paying personally.

And, I get rewards on my personal card
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              And, I get rewards on my personal card
              Amen to that!!!

I have incurred a couple of grand a month travelling for a short period and my accountant was quite happy that I forward myself an expenses chunk the month before, carried over the extra and the next month when I put the cost in it up it all came to zero again (with a slight change to my divi to cover the difference). They did offer me the other options as above but were ok with doing it this way. As it was cleared next month the carry over wasn't an issue, as long as it wasn't done regularly.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbait View Post
                +1

This makes things easier on so many levels. Easier to track company versus personal expenses and generally looks better if you’re ever audited (IMO).

My personal credit cards have a much better exchange rate than my company cards when abroad.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The way forward

Yep, agree with Clare@ - take a funds as a cash advance for upcoming expenses. Effectively you would become a debtor to your company as the expenses reimbursed would exceed expenses reclaimed - but then as the receipts roll in for the expenses you incur, this debtor amount would drop back down to £0. And since you say the expenses will be incurred over the course of a few weeks, it will all sort itself out very quickly.

An issue would arise if you already have a Dir Loan, and this advance would push the loan over 5k, AND the advance is needed for more than a month.

Happy travels!
                  2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                  2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
                  || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

1. Use the company debit card (my one doesn't get debited for 6 weeks anyway)
                    2. Use my own credit card (4 to 6 weeks credit and get a better exchange rate) and then pay it off from the company account
                    3. Take a cash advance from the company and reconcile it at the end of the month
                    4. Use a cashback rewards card and keep the cashback

I think option 1 is the best because it keeps things simple. If there is a question over you incurring the expense then the evidence is right there on your company bank statement, even if you can't find the reciept.

I guess you could work the cashback option if you really wanted to, but avoid these "air miles" or "reward points" cards they are a waste of time.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X