• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guaranteed 40 Hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guaranteed 40 Hours

My current contract states that I am guaranteed to be paid for 40 hours per week, apart from when I cannot provide the service.

I am currently having a bit of a battle with the company over the Christmas period. Basically they were on stand down and would not be able to open for me to work.

I was available to work and wanted to work, so surely, as per the contract, I should get paid for the 40 hours?

The company are just refusing point blank to pay. Where do I stand and what action can I take before going down more costly solicitor routes?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'd be very surprised if you are 'guaranteed' 40 hours per week over the duration of the contract, unless you are a permie.

One of the perk for companies is that they can kick out contractors over Christmas. I didn't work for 3 weeks over that period.

All you're doing at the moment is peeing ofF your agent and client over a dubious claim.

Unless you're not interested in an extension of course...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I would expect that if they do pay, the payment will be accompanied by a notice of termination.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunkip View Post
        My current contract states that I am guaranteed to be paid for 40 hours per week, apart from when I cannot provide the service.I am currently having a bit of a battle with the company over the Christmas period. Basically they were on stand down and would not be able to open for me to work.

I was available to work and wanted to work, so surely, as per the contract, I should get paid for the 40 hours?

The company are just refusing point blank to pay. Where do I stand and what action can I take before going down more costly solicitor routes?

Any help would be much appreciated.
        You could not provide the service because the client site wasn't open. End of story. Drop it.

Either that or you can force your client to pay you money for not working.. way to go... they will love you, along with all the other contractors on site who get treated like tulip and labelled money grabbers because of the actions of the few.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 26 January 2011, 13:09.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We are definitely guaranteed 40 hours per week, one of the perks of this contract.

We brought it to their attention before the Christmas period so they could make the relevant arrangements to allow us to work.

They have paid us for bank holidays when not worked in the past.

It is a perk for them to have been able to lay us off over Christmas but they didn't!

They are more than happy to quote the contract back to us when it suits and its starting to annoy us, hence why this issue has been resurfaced.

Comment

IR35 fodder?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              IR35 fodder?
              Amen to that lol.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Permie fodder?
                FTFY
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  I would expect that if they do pay, the payment will be accompanied by a notice of termination.
                  WHS, keep asking and not only will you be out the door you will never be allowed back in the building, your definately burning bridges with that one

Comment

Working...
                  X