• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas/company event allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hex View Post
    The allowance is per employee per year. It can be as many events as you like as long as you don't exceed the allowance.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM21690.htm

he's right you know.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      I'm guessing you have no knowledge of the tax status of these events though?!
      Nope, but it didn't appear on my P11D

Comment

Looks like everyone is a winner if it can be spread across the year.. I could take the other half out for a shopping trip, and then I could finish off the year with a nice trip to the races...

Comment

What about leaving drinks, I'm due to have some end of week and standard practice is for the leaver to run a tab, usually couple of hundred. Could I claim it as expenses as it was a company 'marketing activity' in that people attending could be my future clients ... ? Long sjot but work asking

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1 View Post
            What about leaving drinks, I'm due to have some end of week and standard practice is for the leaver to run a tab, usually couple of hundred. Could I claim it as expenses as it was a company 'marketing activity' in that people attending could be my future clients ... ? Long sjot but work asking
            You can claim it.

But you'll be taxed as a benefit in kind on it, since it's not a valid business expense.

And you can't use your party allowance, since they aren't employees of your company.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              And you can't use your party allowance, since they aren't employees of your company.
              Can you take just 1 person ? If you are single employee of Ltd company and you are allowed a guest then you should be able to have a bit of a do with your mate instead of the other half ?

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
                Nope, but it didn't appear on my P11D
                Im pretty sure that this would be under a PSA agreement between your employers and the revenue in which they( the employers) meet the tax liability direct negating the P11d entries.

Introduced for these type of circumstance - looks pretty mean spirited if you are given such perks but then have a BIK. Only applies to minor benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  Can you take just 1 person ? If you are single employee of Ltd company and you are allowed a guest then you should be able to have a bit of a do with your mate instead of the other half ?
                  Yes - each employee can take one guest (as long as all employees are told that they can take a guest). For example, if you have a big company where the directors can take a partner to a party and the rest of the staff can't, then it can't be paid for by the company without incurring a BIK.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

At risk of being accused of spamming, got a thing today for tax tips from this lot:-

http://www.indicator.co.uk/en/

No ideas what they are like but if I wasn't retired I might subscribe. Includes free book, "Tax avoidance for the company director"
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      At risk of being accused of spamming, got a thing today for tax tips from this lot:-

http://www.indicator.co.uk/en/

No ideas what they are like but if I wasn't retired I might subscribe. Includes free book, "Tax avoidance for the company director"
                      They are spot on. High value, useful and inexpensive. Thoroughly recommended for the small business owner.

You will save the cost on one tip alone.

Comment

Working...
                      X