• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Registration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Contact after 2 months

At last received a reply, but it was only questions about who are my suppliers, customers, their details, would the Co be supplying goods, etc

Why oh why that was not asked 2 months ago?

If HMRC was a commercial business it would be dead long ago.

LordF

Comment

Originally posted by LordF
      At last received a reply, but it was only questions about who are my suppliers, customers, their details, would the Co be supplying goods, etc

LordF
      The same with any government dept., they would have been dead years ago if run like a proper business

Comment

Originally posted by LordF

LordF
        i had this and sent it off with a load of documents for them. Hopefully this means i'm on the back 9 getting close to the 19th Hole. Any minute now that envelope will drop onto the mat and contain my VAT number. Lets just hope the dog doesn't eat it DOH !!
        Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

I’m glad I don’t have to go through all this; it was a lot easier in my day!

One thing that struck me reading this is the use of credit checks. If one fails the check, does that mean that they can’t register for VAT? I wonder what, from the point of view of a business, the potential benefits and pitfalls of that are?
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
            i had this and sent it off with a load of documents for them. Hopefully this means i'm on the back 9 getting close to the 19th Hole. Any minute now that envelope will drop onto the mat and contain my VAT number. Lets just hope the dog doesn't eat it DOH !!
            Well, not so fast mate! Having sent them the completed questionnaire and a pack of documents, I called them up today and managed to get to the named
            individual via the switchboard. He said it will be sorted by OCTOBER! I asked him why and he said "more checks".... what checks I asked and he mumbled "security checks" .... he sounded like a real numbtie and could hardly put a sentence together! God help us, the country is going down the Sh*t hole!

Comment

Just received my Vat reg today after applying mid-April.

Not asked any questions by Vat office, maybe cos SJD were involved with my registration as agents.

Comment

Applied end of April, received the form asking for further info, biz plan (wtf?) etc on Friday. Sent it back, lets see how much longer I get to wait.

Must have been a really old form too (as my gf who works for Hector pointed out) as it had the bit about including a pre-paid evelope... did they f**k, it was just the usual addressed but stamped type.

For biz plan I just put N/A as I'm a software consultant etc etc
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black
                  For biz plan I just put N/A as I'm a software consultant etc etc
                  Oh dear.

So basically told hector that you're not a business in its own right just an software consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                    Oh dear.

So basically told hector that you're not a business in its own right just an software consultant.
                    Hardly, I'm a consultancy business - a full business plan is not relevant due to the nature of the work.
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Yeah Baby

I applied last week in April and have had my number through on Friday.

2 month turn around for me.
                      Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Working...
                      X