• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very complex phone phishing on personal account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very complex phone phishing on personal account

Just had an unusually complex phone phishing attempt on my personal bank account. It's really opened my eyes compared to the usual indian rubbish so thought I'd share.

Well spoken guy rings me from private number (bells ringing already). Perfect English with the tinest hint of indian/pakistani twang.
    Tells me it's my bank and unusual activity on my card, did I make purchases as Ikea and Halfords to tune of 300 or so. Nope.
    Started process to close account saying all the right stuff but technical issue stopped him as still some fraudulent activity coming through.
    Said they will text me the transactions and I have to confirm.
    Got first text from ROYBANKSCOT saying some disputed transactions to check and they'll come from <mobile number>
    That name looked odd but sure enough another text came through with three transactions. I've had this before and it was exactly the same format, just the normal text number struck me as odd.
    Text came through and on it was one for just under 2k I didn't recognise and two I had made to ta different company today.
    Now that threw me. My hackles were up big time but these two genuine transactions surprised me.
    He said say Y to is as you do recognise it as a transaction as we are talking about it now.
    I asked him to prove he was RBS. He told me my details and also my previous two addresses. Still wasn't 100% convinced but put Y in to text.
    He then said another has come through in the meantime. Text came through with original 2k one, new 2k one and one of the real ones.

At this point I was done. IT systems are smarter than that. So told him I was going to call the bank and do it that way. He said OK and we parted ways.

Upshot when I called the bank they wanted to speak to me about 2 transactions they just spotted which happened to be the two from the bloke on the phone so I had been phished.

Thing is.. what a bloody good job. The details they held (which granted are not impossible to get but the previous address was clever), well spoken bloke, text with the name of the bank telling me another text will come through which is exactly how it works normally, all the speil about closing the account was word for word. The speil the real lady from the bank gave me was exactly the same about card being cancelled, new card & pin but coming in different mails. The texts worded exactly the same and so on.

Nearly had me but the witheld number, name of the text and having to approve the same one twice got me thinking.

Question for the masses. How on earth would they have two genuine transactions on the approval list? If they had access to my account the could have been a lot smarter with their fraud surely. Could it be the other company has an issue and they've spotted me on there?
    The woman on the fraud desk said yes the scammers have a lot of information but didn't say anything else when I pressed her about how could the see a genuine transaction.

Anyone got any ideas? Is it pretty easy to view a bank account with fraudulent details rather than properly sign in to an account. Open banking or something?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 24 July 2024, 17:16.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The woman on the fraud desk said yes the scammers have a lot of information but didn't say anything else when I pressed her about how could the see a genuine transaction.
    Makes you wonder if the bank knows their systems/data are being compromised, and don't want to talk about it.

Is it pretty easy to view a bank account with fraudulent details rather than properly sign in to an account. Open banking or something?
    Well, it bloody well shouldn't be!

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Makes you wonder if the bank knows their systems/data are being compromised, and don't want to talk about it.

Well, it bloody well shouldn't be!
      It isn’t -it requires authorisation by the user…
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm a bit confused about the bank and the criminal saying that they wanted to close your account. That seems like an extreme reaction, rather than just cancelling the card.

I suspect that they got your details from the other company (where you made legitimate purchases). Does that company have your phone number? It might mean that company has been hacked, or it could be an inside job. Also, did that company handle the payment themselves or did they redirect you to somewhere like WorldPay?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Can't comment on your phish, but I had a fraudulent transaction (Amazon) on a credit card a few years ago that was only used by me for an internal money transfer, so never used to buy anything, never taken out of the house etc. I asked the bank how this could possibly have happened, answer came there none, but I got the impression they may know something I didn't.

The only clue I found was that some merchants/payment processors require much less info than others to do a transaction e.g. not requiring the usual combination of name, card number, CVV, postcode, which reduces the info needed to transact...but I would have thought (perhaps naively) Amazon would not be so blasé. Plus, it still doesn't explain how they managed to pull it off. All I could come up with was an insider at either the bank or Royal Mail somehow intercepting the card, as I'd assume blasting Amazon with random numbers and hoping one sticks would trigger blocks on the user.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
            I'm a bit confused about the bank and the criminal saying that they wanted to close your account. That seems like an extreme reaction, rather than just cancelling the card.

I suspect that they got your details from the other company (where you made legitimate purchases). Does that company have your phone number? It might mean that company has been hacked, or it could be an inside job. Also, did that company handle the payment themselves or did they redirect you to somewhere like WorldPay?
            Sorry they didn't. They said cancel the card and they'll send me a new one out.

That's what I thought. They got the info from source and not from my account. I'll give the company a ring just to check but I doubt they'll have a clue what's going on either. The legitimate company uses an online payment gateway similar to worldpay.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 25 July 2024, 09:02.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Does seem to be a sudden uptick. I bank with one of the well known new banks in UK. Active card check yesterday out of the blue from Shopify. Quick google online and lots of people have this in last 3 days. If don’t cancel card, then transactions start to appear. Lot of theories around the crowdstrike outage exposing some merchant data and now lots of scams playing off it.
              Last edited by Keanu2020; 25 July 2024, 09:20.

Comment

The best thing to do with any unsolicited financial call or text from a number that isn't verifiably the company it claims to be is to not take the call and then call the actual company directly. I see you eventually got there, but it's best to do this immediately, every time. These scams only work if they gain a degree of your confidence upfront.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  The best thing to do with any unsolicited financial call or text from a number that isn't verifiably the company it claims to be is to not take the call and then call the actual company directly. I see you eventually got there, but it's best to do this immediately, every time. These scams only work if they gain a degree of your confidence upfront.
                  Ideally not from the phone I've called you from so that you know that you have actually disconnected from.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Ideally not from the phone I've called you from so that you know that you have actually disconnected from.
                    Yes, if you're still using a landline

Comment

Working...
                    X