• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension payment as private contribution instead of salary sacrifice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension payment as private contribution instead of salary sacrifice

Pension contribution has been processed by umbrella as private contribution instead of salary sacrifice, HMRC already got their money and the rest of it is already invested meaning around 20% lost. Is there anything that can be done to revert it back and do it as salary sacrifice?

Have you asked your employer i.e the umbrella? Ask them if it's their mistake, why they've done it and what are they going to do about it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Have you asked your employer i.e the umbrella? Ask them if it's their mistake, why they've done it and what are they going to do about it?
      Yes to both questions and they are not very helpful. Took me a while to explain them that there is a difference between both type of pension payments. The reason I'm asking here is because I'm trying to understand what practically can be done.

Comment

OK, a few questions:
        1. Is this for one month, or for several months?
        2. When did it first occur?
        3. When did you first notice it?
        4. Who is the umbrella?
        5. What did you ask them to do in terms of pension?
        6. Do you have written confirmation from them that they had agreed to do what you requested?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Got to say that a payroll services provider that doesn't understand pension payments is not a company to be dealing with. Perhaps escalate your question to someone in the company who actually knows what they're talking about rather than the office junior on the phone line.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm trying to help someone having this issue so don't want to name and shame until i have full picture.
            The issue happened on several payments and first occured 4 months ago.
            Noticed recently (a few days ago).

Comment

Originally posted by fabios View Post

Yes to both questions and they are not very helpful. Took me a while to explain them that there is a difference between both type of pension payments. The reason I'm asking here is because I'm trying to understand what practically can be done.
              And to think that you have to pay them for the privilege! Why are most umbrellas so lousy when it comes to setting up your pension the way you want to have it set up?

Comment

Working...
              X