• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving on from InTouch (Brookson)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving on from InTouch (Brookson)

So, InTouch new owners 'Brookson' are now stamping their touch on the InTouch offering and I have to say the new accountancy portal looks a right mess. The only reason I stuck with InTouch since the purchase is familiarity, convenience and simplicity. I really didn't want the hassle of learning another provider's accountancy system, but now I have no choice, so it's time to move on from them. This and the fact I seem to have a new person managing my account every few months. fees rising, etc.

So, 2024, what are the current recommendations here please? Am I better off learning a standard accountancy package such as Free Agent, that will be less painful should I be forced to change accountants again?
    Last edited by oliverson; 18 March 2024, 10:52.

Yes - use Freeagent
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I would be very afraid of anything Brookson touches (there is very little to distinguish them from CK or Boox, IMHO):

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...companies.html

You're better off using an accountant that deals with the year-end returns only. Do the VAT and payroll yourself. Yes, FA is straightforward to use and to move between accountants if you want to use an accountant.

Comment

Used Brookson once and never again. Issue after issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          I would be very afraid of anything Brookson touches (there is very little to distinguish them from CK or Boox, IMHO):

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...companies.html

You're better off using an accountant that deals with the year-end returns only. Do the VAT and payroll yourself. Yes, FA is straightforward to use and to move between accountants if you want to use an accountant.
          Interesting link, thanks very much.

In over 20 years I've never done my accounts and aside from a lack of confidence in that areas, there's also a little bit of 'baggage' with my Ltd company. I'd like to consolidate on a single software package that I can learn and never have to learn again, BUT I need the backup of an accountant who can deal with the 'handover', resolve any future issues, etc. I don't mind doing the data entry like I always have done and I have no problem with paying for some level of accountancy services. I see that RBS, who are my business account providers, have a free Free Agent offering. Anybody out there have a similar setup to what I'm looking for and can provide recommendations please?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

Interesting link, thanks very much.

In over 20 years I've never done my accounts and aside from a lack of confidence in that areas, there's also a little bit of 'baggage' with my Ltd company. I'd like to consolidate on a single software package that I can learn and never have to learn again, BUT I need the backup of an accountant who can deal with the 'handover', resolve any future issues, etc. I don't mind doing the data entry like I always have done and I have no problem with paying for some level of accountancy services. I see that RBS, who are my business account providers, have a free Free Agent offering. Anybody out there have a similar setup to what I'm looking for and can provide recommendations please?
            FA is a very good bet. I do my own accounts with FA, but most accountants will work with it, even if they use other software to actually file (there are some limitations with more complicated CT returns and SATR). You should be able to get an accountant to do the monthly work via FA or, as I recommended above, just the annual returns.

Comment

If you do want someone for the standard contractor offering the ones I would be looking at are Gorilla who I'm with and still happy but they have gone big sausage factory. Medium sized I'd say Maslins but he has stepped away I think so need to speak to him to understand the situation nowadays. Smaller and more personal I'd be ringing Sarah Solo at PaperRocket, Michael at BI and Claire and her tea boy at Clarity Taxation.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 18 March 2024, 11:16.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                If you do want someone for the standard contractor offering the ones I would be looking at are Gorilla who I'm with and still happy but they have gone big sausage factory. Medium sized I'd say Maslins but he has stepped away I think so need to speak to him to understand the situation nowadays. Smaller and more personal I'd be ringing Sarah Solo at PaperRocket, Michael at BI and Claire and her tea boy at Clarity Taxation.
                Ha ha, I used to be a tea boy as part of my office junior role in the very early 80's!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I moved from Brookson -> Gorilla courtesy of NLUK's recommendation approx 3 years ago and have never looked back. Night and day improvement over Brookson, very personal touch and use FreeAgent which was an easier tool than Brookson's portal at the time. Can't recommend Gorilla highly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post

I moved from Brookson -> Gorilla courtesy of NLUK's recommendation approx 3 years ago and have never looked back. Night and day improvement over Brookson, very personal touch and use FreeAgent which was an easier tool than Brookson's portal at the time. Can't recommend Gorilla highly enough.
                    Interesting, thanks.

I'm just looking at a list of services offered in the Bronze package here:

https://paperrocketaccounting.com/limitedcompany/

I'm wondering how much of that is pretty much a given when using Free Agent and for anything that arises not on that list, do FA have a support line that can help out, even at additional one-off expense?

I mean, would I be paying just over £ 1.5k a year for what Free Agent already provides out of the box, and that box is free to me as an RBS customer?
                    Last edited by oliverson; 18 March 2024, 12:15.

Comment

Working...
                    X