• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving on from InTouch (Brookson)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick update. Did my due diligence on the accountancy practices suggested/recommended in this thread (and others) and decided to go with Paper Rocket.

Thanks everybody for your input. Much appreciated.

Comment

Personally think it's handy to have an accountant - mine tends to save me as much as he costs and it's always good to have someone to ask instead of some of the stuff you see on here that tends to end with NLUK saying "have you asked your accountant".

I use Kashflow and do the day to day inc. invoicing, expenses, VAT returns etc. and he does my end of year accounts for CH, my self assessment and Corporation Tax. I'm sure I could do other bits myself but not worth the saving to be honest. Think my last bill for the year from him was £800 plus the VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        Just a quick update. Did my due diligence on the accountancy practices suggested/recommended in this thread (and others) and decided to go with Paper Rocket.

Thanks everybody for your input. Much appreciated.
        You've made a good decision IMHO.

I switched to Paper Rocket from SJD (don't even get me started on that) after seeing a few recommendations on here and the difference in service is staggering. Everything is done so efficiently. Every email I send gets responded to quickly by my accountant and not some other bod (and there were a lot of emails in the early days.)

Been with them just under 18 months and they are honestly one of the best B2B companies I've dealt with. You really get a personal service that seems excellent value for money compared to one of the big sausage factor accountancy firms.

Comment

I remember using Brooksons as my first accountant a while back.

As accountants they we're fine but the software was truly terrible.

Mostly because it was limited to a certain number of banks rather than any that support the OpenBanking API.

I went with CashPlus(stupid idea). Never had an issue except his one time I was buying a car, it must have been after either 5-6pm on a Friday. So I transfer the man the money and except to drive off with the car right? Wrong, at the time they weren't a real bank so transfers don't go through on the weekend and after a certain time.

Could they cancel the transaction? No.

So I had to leave the man with the car and the pending money till Monday. He thankfully didn't decide to sod off with 5k but still.

FreeAgent though is light years ahead.

Comment

The support from Intouch has fell off a cliff in recent weeks. Have never had an issue in over 10 years but now it's all unanswered emails and incomplete information being sent. I've just rang my supposed personal accountant's number, InTouch's existing client number (which also fields HMRC calls) as well as the new enquiries number. All rang out until I gave up. Not looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
              The support from Intouch has fell off a cliff in recent weeks. Have never had an issue in over 10 years but now it's all unanswered emails and incomplete information being sent. I've just rang my supposed personal accountant's number, InTouch's existing client number (which also fields HMRC calls) as well as the new enquiries number. All rang out until I gave up. Not looking good.
              I find the following LinkedIn feature always useful when looking at a company at it gives you an indication fo their health. Thisi is for InTouch

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 14.20.21.png Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	4293604

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
                Yes seeing the same, been with them 12 years, had 7 different "personal accountants". Been heading down hill for a while, took a major dive after Brookson bought them. The migration to their god awful Brookson rebanded portal was aborted once and now completed, my data doesn't seem to match where the old portal left off. Been chasing nearly two weeks for anyone to explain what's happened, but silence. I'm guessing too few staff, most on holidays and the new portal has cocked up most clients data. Time to get things up to date and escape.

Comment

Anyone who didn't move before Brookson tookover.... well, you should probably acquaint yourself with the MSC legislation because they will be a prime target.

( That said, InTouch were heading drastically downhill 10 years ago )

Comment

Originally posted by foxes1884 View Post

Yes seeing the same, been with them 12 years, had 7 different "personal accountants". Been heading down hill for a while, took a major dive after Brookson bought them. The migration to their god awful Brookson rebanded portal was aborted once and now completed, my data doesn't seem to match where the old portal left off. Been chasing nearly two weeks for anyone to explain what's happened, but silence. I'm guessing too few staff, most on holidays and the new portal has cocked up most clients data. Time to get things up to date and escape.
                    We always recommend Freeagent to our new and existing contractor clients. It's just the best suited and easiest software to use plus it doesn't tie you down to anyone accountancy provider because you can take it with you if you switch firms. Oh, and the mobile app is one of the best out there for the job required.

Comment

Good god Intouch / Brookson have gone and royally f***ed things up with this portal change haven't they?

what an absolutely garbage monstrousity

has sealed the deal for me to get out because this total mess is delaying my end of month accounts

can't even upload a bank statement to manage my own expenses properly

utter sh*** , nice job intouch
                      Last edited by thelastrosbif; 12 August 2024, 12:36.

Comment

Working...
                      X