• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on school fees (if Labour win)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many public schools are already businesses so already charge VAT.

It's pretty difficult to make a serious argument that the others are 'charities' and deserve the tax break. A bit of outreach and scholarships, mostly for show.

The time of working/middle class parents forgoing holidays and new cars to put their kids in these schools is largely over.

Inflation on public school fees has been high over the past couple of decades as parents demand more and better facilities.

As a result, you'll need (in London) £20k after tax per year plus a few thousands more for uniforms, school trips, activities and special needs support. For 2 or 3 kids, or more.

Customers are often wealthy international business types.

No-one believes that half a million kids or more are suddenly going to end up in the state system.

The obvious argument for the policy is that the fewer of our politicians that can afford to send their kids to public school, the more likely they are to fight to improve the state system.

Comment

Does it mean that the offshore tax-haven trust that might be paying for JRM’s x+1 children will be able to claim VAT back on their education?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If VAT is added I will have to take my kids off the private schools as it will be unpayable for me and send into government education. Like me there will be many others. Where will labour create these places and how are they going to pay for them, it is a shot in their own foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          If VAT is added I will have to take my kids off the private schools as it will be unpayable for me and send into government education. Like me there will be many others. Where will labour create these places and how are they going to pay for them, it is a shot in their own foot.
          Same boat, and I'd suggest about half the children in my eldest daughter's year of 30-odd kids would follow.

Another cheap Labour attempt to grab votes without actually thinking the policy through.

Comment

And all these people pulling kids out of private schools will turn up at the good state schools with lawyers. They will then drive a coach and horses through the schools admissions policy. Kids that would get to go to a good state school just now, will be pushed into the poorer performing state schools.

All in all a retrograde step. All my kids were entirely state educated so I haven't got an axe to grind.

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
              And all these people pulling kids out of private schools will turn up at the good state schools with lawyers. They will then drive a coach and horses through the schools admissions policy. Kids that would get to go to a good state school just now, will be pushed into the poorer performing state schools.

All in all a retrograde step. All my kids were entirely state educated so I haven't got an axe to grind.
              Sorry but any half decent school is subjected to lawyers every year already as people try to get in via appeal - adding lawyers won’t get them anywhere as any half decent school would have seen every possible attempt done some time in the past.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X