• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH in short-term (e.g. AirBnb) accomodation... any expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WFH in short-term (e.g. AirBnb) accomodation... any expenses?

d000hg wrote the following but the post didn't work.

I work from home 100% of the time for my current contract but there are issues with the house which mean I can't work there for a couple of weeks. I need to find something like an AirBnB in order to work.
    My assumption is that since I would be living there, there is nothing at all which can be claimed as an expense - it's just one of those things, BIK, etc? But it seemed worth checking. Google is really only showing me results for BnB hosts rather than as a cost.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Wholly and exclusively for business? There is no business requirement for the change in location so no.

You could argue you can live at your house, just not do your job therefore its a business expense because it's needed for work but in my educated opinion it's a personal situation effecting your environment, not driven by business so I'm going with no.

I can totally see why someone else may say otherwise though. You have to move out to do business so is wholly and exclusively but I'd need convincing before I'd agree. It's still a personal situation driving the need so you'd have to pay for it personally.

EDIT : During lockdown when we were semi released I spent most of my days in cafes/pubs nearby just for my sanity which worked fine. Even found there were a couple of humpday clubs meeting in various places on Wednesdays which was fun as well. Can you not find public places to work rather than pay for something?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 23 February 2024, 13:17.

Comment

Is there any option that you could visit a client site for a few days, i.e. you are travelling to the site and staying there M-F?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Is there any option that you could visit a client site for a few days, i.e. you are travelling to the site and staying there M-F?
        Clever!

Comment

Cheers NL.. forum fart I think.

The house is not really functional generally. And my PC is a 27" iMac anyway
          It seemed worth double checking but as it is my home as well as my workplace, just not a starter.
          This would apply to the idea of a "working holiday on tour" - as a WFH-er we can decide to just travel about if we want. It's a nice thing to do, be somewhere nice and fund it at the same time.

I claim the regular £4pw or whatever it is these days but that's inconsequential. Fortunately, around here we're talking Travelodge prices for a rather lovely country cottage (£100 or less per day)
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Are there any conferences you feel you should attend, paid for by the company including accommodation and subsistence of course?

Comment

Working...
            X