• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New laptop VAT treatment EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New laptop VAT treatment EU

I am looking at a new Macbook Pro M3 Pro.
    Amazon do a 9% discount, which is not be sniffed at on that sort of price.
    But Amazon will bill from Luxembourg.

How does that work? The boxes for VAT are doing my head in.
    Do I get full VAT back and therefore the Amazon choice is a no brainer?
    Or am I better paying the non-discounted price and get from the Apple store with UK VAT I know I can reclaim?
    See You Next Tuesday

+1

Comment

This help?

https://sellercentral-europe.amazon....41c06b13656644
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        thanks. I did not know this.
        Now I need to check if I can add a VAT number to a personal Amazon account. I have an Amazon business account but don;t use it as I collect points on my BA Amex card.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          But Amazon will bill from Luxembourg.?
          Where's it being shipped from? If from within the UK, then Amazon should add UK VAT as normal. It's only if it's being sent from the EU that things can get a little complicated post-Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Where's it being shipped from? If from within the UK, then Amazon should add UK VAT as normal. It's only if it's being sent from the EU that things can get a little complicated post-Brexit.
            usually shipped from Ireland.

But it does appear to have a UK VAT #

Invoice Apple Distribution International Ltd. Hollyhill Industrial Estate Hollyhill, Cork Ireland VAT No: GB117223643
            and now I look deeper, I can see I reclaimed VAT from that iPad purchase in Dec '22
            so maybe just overthinking this.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

EU retailers importing goods into the UK are meant to register for VAT with HMRC. Many don't, especially smaller ones.

Strictly speaking, they only need to add VAT to orders under £135. (Obviously this doesn't happen if retailers haven't even registered)

Over £135, they can omit VAT and leave Customs/Courier to collect it on import. (Sometimes the VAT isn't collected)

Big retailers like Amazon will probably add VAT to all orders, even if they're over the £135 threshold. I've heard that occasionally this can lead to a double-charge where Customs add VAT again.

It's all a bit of a dogs dinner.

PS. orders over £135 can sometimes get stuck in Customs, as I found out recently with a package from Germany. Took 6 weeks to clear.
              Last edited by woody1; 1 February 2024, 09:09. Reason: PS

Comment

And let’s just hope the courier device doesn’t ‘play up’ just before he hands you the box, or the warehouse doesn’t do the old switcheroo with a plank of wood.

I no longer trust Amazon with high-value purchases.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  And let’s just hope the courier device doesn’t ‘play up’ just before he hands you the box, or the warehouse doesn’t do the old switcheroo with a plank of wood.

I no longer trust Amazon with high-value purchases.
                  that's why I always buy using a credit card. It's not my problem as I'm not entering into a contract to purchase. Amex are the purchaser so it's their battle.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                  X