• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can my wife, who is a director, receive a dividend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the feedback. It would seem the time to gift my wife shares was when I created the ltd company and now it is too late but I should still consult with a good accountant. This all sounds a bit risky though I have to say. It looks like I still have a lot to learn about being self-employed!

Comment

Originally posted by sergeantpluck View Post
      Thanks for the feedback. It would seem the time to gift my wife shares was when I created the ltd company and now it is too late but I should still consult with a good accountant. This all sounds a bit risky though I have to say. It looks like I still have a lot to learn about being self-employed!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	jiFfM.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	4283297
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It looks like I still have a lot to learn about being self-employed!
        Just to nitpick, technically you're not self-employed. Using HMRC's definition, that applies to sole traders rather than directors of limited companies.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
          Just to nitpick, technically you're not self-employed. Using HMRC's definition, that applies to sole traders rather than directors of limited companies.
          Contractors being described as self-employed is one of the things that really hacks me off when I read articles about IR35 in the mainstream press

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

It's a good point and not nit picking in the context of the OP's post. He's got it wholly wrong. Argument about self employed/LTD aside he's not going to find the information he needs. It's running a company he's not a clue about so researching self employed isn't going to help him.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been a contractor two years, my wife became a director after one year, and receives a small salary. She manages FreeAgent for us but I am the main fee-earner (my wife does not have another job). We wanted to be able to pay her a small dividend each month on top of the small salary but having read extensively here and online it could be I should have given her shares from the start and now it is too late and any new shares provided to her will make HMRC come after us.

I had thought the Arctic services case meant we could with little risk, provide my wife with a smaller dividend than mine. I have a cheapo accountant who has advised I seek advice somewhere else - I am asking around now but wanted to know what you all thought. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Should we just keep her on the salary with no dividend? Thank you kindly in advance.
              No
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's a good point and not nit picking in the context of the OP's post. He's got it wholly wrong. Argument about self employed/LTD aside he's not going to find the information he needs. It's running a company he's not a clue about so researching self employed isn't going to help him.
                But I did find the information I need, here in this thread and on these forums

Thank you for the advice everyone, I'm looking for a new accountant who will be willing to advise on such matters. I'm inclined to avoid any risk and issue an additional dividend to myself and pay the higher tax rate.

Comment

Working...
                X