• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fine due to accountant failing to file with HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sgpg View Post
    It's for 2021-22 and my contract covered the period when the CT -600 should have been submitted. I'm not sure of the legal status of the new company and its relationship to the old one but many of the same people are there except the accountant that was allocated to me.
    ​​​​​
    Well you should. It's your responsibility.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sgpg View Post
      It's for 2021-22 and my contract covered the period when the CT -600 should have been submitted.
      ​​​​​
      Are you saying that you left them without you signing off on the CT-600?
      They do not manage your company, you do. They just happen to be the accountants who you instruct to pull together the figures for you, which you then approve.

At this stage, if I were you, I would:
      1. Pay the fine
      2. Instruct and pay someone to fill in the corporation tax return for that year, if it's not something you can do yourself.
      3. Ensure that other years have been done correctly.

Things I would not do:
      1. Ignore the fine
      2. Tell HMRC that SJD were managing and controlling the affairs of my company
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Are you saying that you left them without you signing off on the CT-600?
        They do not manage your company, you do. They just happen to be the accountants who you instruct to pull together the figures for you, which you then approve.

At this stage, if I were you, I would:
        1. Pay the fine
        2. Instruct and pay someone to fill in the corporation tax return for that year, if it's not something you can do yourself.
        3. Ensure that other years have been done correctly.

Things I would not do:
        1. Ignore the fine
        2. Tell HMRC that SJD were managing and controlling the affairs of my company
        It's SJD??? For the love of god leave. We've had an endless stream of people from SJD encountering problems. It WILL go wrong if you are with them so leave. You don't appear to have any kind of understanding of how to run your business and are leaving it to a bunch of people that have a long and very well documented history of screwing up.

Leave, work on getting even the most basic understanding of your company and get a new accountant. Asking what the relationship between two business are and thinking your accountant has something to do with that relationship is absolutely shocking, particularly with MSC hanging around. If that's not the definition of an MSC problem I don't know what is.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

File the return asap. Then phone HMRC and explain the situation, depending how overdue it is, they might come to an arrangement with you. But ultimately your responsibility I’m afraid.

Comment

I had a similar situation with SJD where (long story short) they got a three month extension with HMRC yet still managed to file it late, partly caused by having three accountants in very quick succession.

They refunded me the two penalties and gave me three months free service. I left them shortly after and I can only echo what's been said above. Do not stay with them, or Caroola as they are rebranded now, under any circumstances unless you want a lot of misery and countless hours time wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's SJD???
              On the plus side, the OP can get his company CT600 from the dark web now.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

On the plus side, the OP can get his company CT600 from the dark web now.
                My brother used to be with a sister company of SJD and after the company suffered the cyber attack, several attempts were made to take out loans in his name. He's locked his credit file now to prevent this happening.

It's amazing how many suspicious five star reviews have suddenly appeared for the rebranded Caroola...

Comment

Working...
                X