• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fine due to accountant failing to file with HMRC"

Collapse

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

On the plus side, the OP can get his company CT600 from the dark web now.
    My brother used to be with a sister company of SJD and after the company suffered the cyber attack, several attempts were made to take out loans in his name. He's locked his credit file now to prevent this happening.

It's amazing how many suspicious five star reviews have suddenly appeared for the rebranded Caroola...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's SJD???
    On the plus side, the OP can get his company CT600 from the dark web now.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    I had a similar situation with SJD where (long story short) they got a three month extension with HMRC yet still managed to file it late, partly caused by having three accountants in very quick succession.

They refunded me the two penalties and gave me three months free service. I left them shortly after and I can only echo what's been said above. Do not stay with them, or Caroola as they are rebranded now, under any circumstances unless you want a lot of misery and countless hours time wasted.

Leave a comment:

• tl97
    replied
    File the return asap. Then phone HMRC and explain the situation, depending how overdue it is, they might come to an arrangement with you. But ultimately your responsibility I’m afraid.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Are you saying that you left them without you signing off on the CT-600?
    They do not manage your company, you do. They just happen to be the accountants who you instruct to pull together the figures for you, which you then approve.

At this stage, if I were you, I would:
    1. Pay the fine
    2. Instruct and pay someone to fill in the corporation tax return for that year, if it's not something you can do yourself.
    3. Ensure that other years have been done correctly.

Things I would not do:
    1. Ignore the fine
    2. Tell HMRC that SJD were managing and controlling the affairs of my company
    It's SJD??? For the love of god leave. We've had an endless stream of people from SJD encountering problems. It WILL go wrong if you are with them so leave. You don't appear to have any kind of understanding of how to run your business and are leaving it to a bunch of people that have a long and very well documented history of screwing up.

Leave, work on getting even the most basic understanding of your company and get a new accountant. Asking what the relationship between two business are and thinking your accountant has something to do with that relationship is absolutely shocking, particularly with MSC hanging around. If that's not the definition of an MSC problem I don't know what is.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Sgpg View Post
    It's for 2021-22 and my contract covered the period when the CT -600 should have been submitted.
    ​​​​​
    Are you saying that you left them without you signing off on the CT-600?
    They do not manage your company, you do. They just happen to be the accountants who you instruct to pull together the figures for you, which you then approve.

At this stage, if I were you, I would:
    1. Pay the fine
    2. Instruct and pay someone to fill in the corporation tax return for that year, if it's not something you can do yourself.
    3. Ensure that other years have been done correctly.

Things I would not do:
    1. Ignore the fine
    2. Tell HMRC that SJD were managing and controlling the affairs of my company

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    It's for 2021-22 and my contract covered the period when the CT -600 should have been submitted. I'm not sure of the legal status of the new company and its relationship to the old one but many of the same people are there except the accountant that was allocated to me.
    ​​​​​
    Well you should. It's your responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• Sgpg
    replied
    It's for 2021-22 and my contract covered the period when the CT -600 should have been submitted. I'm not sure of the legal status of the new company and its relationship to the old one but many of the same people are there except the accountant that was allocated to me.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I would but the company has changed name and the accountant has left.
    Accountant leaving shouldn't be your problem but the name change could be problematic. Have they changed new or are they a new company entity. If it's just a rebranding then your contract should still be good and they didn't fulfill their responsibilities. If they've a new LTD then your issue is with the old LTD and they won't touch it if they are a new entity.

Sounds like, for an easy life, you will have to speak to your new people, see if they can do it quickly for you, stump up the cash and move on.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Thanks I'll have to check the actual dormont status. I have traded since 2017.
    The submission should have been done in 2022 I moved to a new firm in November 2022.
    Just noticed that NLUK made a comment to you in 2021:
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Is it truely dormant i.e. you've applied for it or is it just not trading. Big difference.
    Are HMRC asking you for you 2021/22 return, or 2022/23?

Leave a comment:

• Sgpg
    replied
    Can you pick up the phone and speak to your allocated accountant and ask them to file the CT600 asap? Then discuss who's responsible for the late filing fee?
    I would but the company has changed name and the accountant has left.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Hello,
    Just wondering how I can ask them to file to stop me getting fined.
    Many thanks
    Can you pick up the phone and speak to your allocated accountant and ask them to file the CT600 asap? Then discuss who's responsible for the late filing fee?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The submission should have been done in 2022 I moved to a new firm in November 2022.
    You need to check your contract carefully. Although you pay a monthly fee it is a pro rata of a years contract. If you cancelled mid year then you didn't pay the full year and they may argue the work stopped dead. If you paid a full year then they are obliged to complete the years work, even if some of that falls outside the engagement period e.g. CT submissions after you've ceased, you still paid for it.

Check contract carefully, work out what you paid and what their responsibilities were that year and then have a sit down and if you think you are right don't let them off the hook.

Leave a comment:

• Sgpg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Hello,
    I just received a letter from HMRC where it appears from the HMRC letter that my company’s tax return had not been filed with HMRC and I believe that I will continue to get a £100 fine until the return is filed. I was not aware they failed to file.
    It's an odd situation but ultimately it is your responsibility. You are legally responsible for your company. Relying on your accountant to run your company for you isn't a good way to do it, for exactly this reason and also the MSC problems floating around. I get many people don't do the detail but this is the risk if you don't.
    In my experience if an accountant screws up they generally pay the fines. Talk to them to sort it.
    During this period, I was with a large accountancy company which had a revolving door of accountants and the one who was assigned to me for that week and has since left appears not to have filed on my behalf.
    Seems pretty simple case they've screwed up so they pay.
    This is somewhat complicated as the accountancy company have now emerged under a different name but some of the same management.
    Shouldn't be complex as you should be keeping an eye on your service suppliers. You'll have a contract with them and they will have informed you if that contract still stands or is being re-issued under the new name. Again, as a director this is your responsibility.
    Also, my company had been dormant for 4 years so the submission would have been zero I guess for corporation tax.
    Just wondering how I can ask them to file to stop me getting fined.
    Many thanks
    WFTH makes an important note. Truly dormant, all paperwork completed or just not sitting there not being used? Everyone gets this wrong so we have to ask evertime it's mentioned. Either way you still need to engage with your accountant to advise in changes to the company and they can change their offering/prices to suit.

WTFH mentions something about this being in the past and I don't understand the current situation but as I say, ultimately, you are legally responsible for your LTD regardless of what the accountants do. They just provide you a service. You can take them to task about their service but it's your signature on the submissions and it's you on the hook so need to understand those responsibilities and it's for you to fix this really.

If you haven't used it for 4 years maybe it's time to close it, particularly now you've attracted HMRC's attention?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 October 2023, 09:30.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X