• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kate Cotterell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kate Cotterell

For any of us who know who she is (and those who damned well should), I was sad to read on LinkedIn that Kate died earlier today after a short illness.

An ex-tax inspector, she set up Bauer and Cotterell in the early days of IR35, was one of the key players in the fight against the legislation and was one of those who created the various defences we have all been using over the last 20 years.

She went on to be invited on to the IR35 Forum and several other influential bodies.

Although I never met her in person, she and I crossed swords on occasion - always very amicably - and despite our often frequent disagreements on policy and approach, I for one had enormous respect for her work.
    Blog? What blog...?

Oh, damn, that's sad.

Thanks for letting us know.

Comment

Oh dammit, that sad.

I had a happy interaction with her when I sent B&C a contract to review, only for her to call me back to thank me. Apparently B&C had been commissioned by a crappy agency pretending to be a consultancy, to create a bespoke contract template, which they then cancelled saying that they no longer needed the contract.

So imagine her surprise when I sent said contract to B&C to be reviewed…
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh crap. Sad news indeed.

I used her company for IR35 reviews a lot back when I first started - excellent service, they'd negotiate with the agency on your behalf and all that. She was lovely to deal with.

Comment

Very sad. Met her a few times at the awards. Imposing lady but very amicable and was a good laugh at the does. Well known in our circle so such a shame.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Terrible news. Used them for reviews back in the day and always very professional.

Comment

Never met her but spoke to her once when an agency tried to tell contractors offered a new contract (which was full of red flags) that she'd reviewed it for them. She hadn't. She didn't mince her words when she found out her name and reputation were being used.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Sad news indeed.

Comment

A superb and insightful contributor to ContractorUK and the contracting community. This is very sad.

Comment

We had spoken many, many times over the years. A great loss to the contracting community. Thoughts with her family and friends at this time.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X