• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic Question on Ltd Company's First Yr's account. No Income and only Expenses!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Question on Ltd Company's First Yr's account. No Income and only Expenses!

I'd set up an ltd company to come up with an MVP for an idea I had. It has only spent time (i.e. no income at all, and there was nothing that could be sold anyway - service or product).

Costs are around software development and external consultant staff hire (all under <£10k)

Would this be considered a dormant company for the purpose of doing the accounts?

I am quite limited with funds and want to try to save (if I can on) on the accountant's fee.

Many thanks in advance

A dormant company has to have no activity. No interest, payments, income nothing.

Google will tell you what you need to know.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also, you say you’re doing your first year accounts, but on a previous thread from a few years ago you were asking about R&D credits. Something doesn’t quite add up.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Also, you say you’re doing your first year accounts, but on a previous thread from a few years ago you were asking about R&D credits. Something doesn’t quite add up.
        Quite rightly and not before time, I hear our friends at HMRC are taking a keen interest in R&D tax credits. They have been subjected to millions in fraudulent claims. Any claims now are likely to be scrutinised unlike previously where they were just granted.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Quite rightly and not before time, I hear our friends at HMRC are taking a keen interest in R&D tax credits. They have been subjected to millions in fraudulent claims. Any claims now are likely to be scrutinised unlike previously where they were just granted.
          in this case there is no profit to claim R&D tax credits against.

It does make you wonder how little people know about a company when they set it up, but don't factor in the most basic cost of ACTUALLY RUNNING THE COMPANY!!!!
          To the OP. Yes you need to do your accounts. In your case you may well be able to DIY as it doesn't sound too complex if all it has is expenses. Try a local accountant and see if you can get the year end done for a few hundred £ though.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

in this case there is no profit to claim R&D tax credits against.

It does make you wonder how little people know about a company when they set it up, but don't factor in the most basic cost of ACTUALLY RUNNING THE COMPANY!!!!
            To the OP. Yes you need to do your accounts. In your case you may well be able to DIY as it doesn't sound too complex if all it has is expenses. Try a local accountant and see if you can get the year end done for a few hundred £ though.
            Of course, you're right. The point I failed to make is that millions of R&D tax credits have already been fraudulently claimed whether there's profits or not. There's been quite a lot in the media about it recently. I'm very sceptical anyone here should be claiming legitimate R&D. HMRC have, allegedly, at long last decided to not just approve the claims. Too little too late, but that's typical of anything these days. Sadly.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

Of course, you're right. The point I failed to make is that millions of R&D tax credits have already been fraudulently claimed whether there's profits or not. There's been quite a lot in the media about it recently. I'm very sceptical anyone here should be claiming legitimate R&D. HMRC have, allegedly, at long last decided to not just approve the claims. Too little too late, but that's typical of anything these days. Sadly.
              Totally agree with this. We've had some long threads on this and from memory not one of them came close to meeting the requirements for the legislation despite the OP's strong protestations.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X