• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering as self-employed to pay voluntary class 2 nics for state pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering as self-employed to pay voluntary class 2 nics for state pension

Up to now we've been paying class 3 (c. £800/year) so my wife can boost her state pension.

However, I've seen it suggested that you could register as self-employed (maybe do a bit of selling on eBay, baby sitting or paid gardening) and pay the much cheaper class 2 (c. £150/year).

Sounds a bit iffy to me. Anyone else done this?
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 26 February 2022, 11:50.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

If you live and work abroad and you paid NICs before you left, and have been working abroad every since, you can pay class 2 contributions as well - and so when retire receive a full UK state pension. How's that for dodgy?

In your case, so long as you are actually self-employed, it's not an issue.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Don’t be surprised if class 2 NICs are abandoned in the near future. These energy subsidies and WW3 need paying for.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        In your case, so long as you are actually self-employed, it's not an issue.
        (maybe do a bit of selling on eBay, baby sitting or paid gardening)
        Yep it's an issue.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Don’t be surprised if class 2 NICs are abandoned in the near future. These energy subsidies and WW3 need paying for.
          Thanks for the tip. I'll pay my missing years now.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
          X