• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing/Tax Relief on Computer Equipment - Umbrella Employee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensing/Tax Relief on Computer Equipment - Umbrella Employee

Hi, new to the forum and the contracting/umbrella world so apologies if this is the wrong section.

I have recently become an employee for an umbrella company. The job that I am undertaking requires computer equipment (laptop) but I do not have one personally and currently just borrowing one. Is there a way to expense a laptop or get some sort of tax reclaim/rebate? I do need a relatively powerful one but they are quite expensive.

If there is a way to get some sort of money off/reclaim how would I do that?

thanks!

There is a post right below yours about (possibly) claiming one through your SA.
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-contract.html

Is it your clients policy not to give contractors one or something? Highly coincidental we have two questions on laptops for inside gigs in the space of a day when we've not had a post about a client not giving laptops to inside people for.. like ever. Same client or just unlucky?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 31 January 2022, 21:25.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      There is a post right below yours about (possibly) claiming one through your SA.
      https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-contract.html

Is it your clients policy not to give contractors one or something? Highly coincidental we have two questions on laptops for inside gigs in the space of a day when we've not had a post about a client not giving laptops to inside people for.. like ever. Same client or just unlucky?
      Quite common if you are working from home and all that is required is to remote on to a desktop.

why provide a machine when it doesn’t need to be powerful and most IT people will have one (or more).

but as we discovered in the thread below it’s going to be virtually impossible to claim for one.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Quite common if you are working from home and all that is required is to remote on to a desktop.

why provide a machine when it doesn’t need to be powerful and most IT people will have one (or more).

but as we discovered in the thread below it’s going to be virtually impossible to claim for one.
        Just seems odd we've had two in a few days but we've been locked down for long enough and the IR35 changes has been awhile. Never popped up before. Could be a worrying trend.

I would have taken a stab at same client but this guy wants a powerful one so guess not.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Just seems odd we've had two in a few days but we've been locked down for long enough and the IR35 changes has been awhile. Never popped up before. Could be a worrying trend.

I would have taken a stab at same client but this guy wants a powerful one so guess not.
          It’s that time of year when people are moving contracts.

A while back an umbrella firm did offer a scheme to buy laptops and similar items but it only really works if you are with an umbrella for a long period of time (for depreciation reasons) and I can’t remember if they stopped doing it or still offer it (yes I did do a search which is why I’m unsure whether they stopped it or not).

however, that umbrella is very hard to contact at the moment so I won’t get a quick answer.

Comment

Oh sorry didn’t see that other post!

I work through Paystr*am for a big finance company. The finance company won’t give me a laptop because I’m not their employee and PS said ‘For PS to claim this has a business expense with HMRC we would need to be keeping the computer at the end of the contract which we would not be doing.’

by the looks of reading the other post it seems I’ve just got to suck it up and there’s no way round it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jambrella View Post
              Oh sorry didn’t see that other post!

I work through Paystr*am for a big finance company. The finance company won’t give me a laptop because I’m not their employee and PS said ‘For PS to claim this has a business expense with HMRC we would need to be keeping the computer at the end of the contract which we would not be doing.’

by the looks of reading the other post it seems I’ve just got to suck it up and there’s no way round it.
              Yep only way round it is to find an umbrella firm willing to use part of your assignment fee to buy you a laptop - and there is no reason to do that at the moment as unless they can safely assume you will be with them 3 years it just doesn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jambrella View Post
                The job that I am undertaking requires computer equipment (laptop) but I do not have one personally and currently just borrowing one.
                You don't have a PC/laptop/desktop of some kind at all?

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

You don't have a PC/laptop/desktop of some kind at all?
                  The OP says Laptop - suppose you've got to be in the office 1 day and week and all you've got at home is a good gaming desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The OP says Laptop - suppose you've got to be in the office 1 day and week and all you've got at home is a good gaming desktop.
                    A laptop good enough if all you want to do is connect to a remote server is no more than £300. If not having one stops you earning, it's hardly a life-changing question...

And if you could claim it somehow, it would save you all of £60.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X