• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for some advice around pension/salary sacrifice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

What if your ISA is your warchest?
    Then you warchest is cash, so not really making the best use of an ISA.

Warchest instant access, ISA usually locked away for a period of time. But I think we are getting ahead of the OP!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Not so sure about that if you are using an umbrella.

I would be going warchesk, debts then pension over ISA. Little point throwing £18k or even £10k into an ISA if you can be throwing £40k into your pension instead

Remember when you are on £100k+ a year the tax above £100k (due to losing your personal allowance) is so bad for umbrella workers that I would be throwing everything I could above £100k into the pension pot.
      If OP has been contracting for a year they have cash which has already been taxed, throw that into the ISA and new, unearned money into the SIPP
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for the answers folks. I've set up a meeting with an IFA to discuss my thoughts, I'm hoping they will be able to steer me in the right direction.

As it stands, it looks like I'll be canceling NEST and moving to another provider that allows me to do Salary Sacrifice. I'd like to avoid the £100k+ tax fees as I think I've hit that already, so hoping moving to Salary Sacrifice will save me money in the long run.

I don't currently have an ISA set up either, so I'll be speaking to them regarding this.

I'll also be sure to ask about the warchest/debt/ISA scenario you have mentioned and let you know what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I'd be inclined to talk to an IFA rather than a bunch of randoms on'tinterweb.
          THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I think NEST is ok with salary sacrifice if you google it. Maybe it's your umbrella that has a problem with doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by mackenzie99d View Post
              I think NEST is ok with salary sacrifice if you google it. Maybe it's your umbrella that has a problem with doing it?
              The point was NEST is expensive, not that NEST doesn't support it - the method of deduction isn't relevant as PAPDIS filing is just total amounts period / month.
              Last edited by eek; 7 January 2022, 22:04.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You are going to be disappointed with an ifa! Just like people here are upset with their accountants.

the Ida will suggest investments that net them commissions .. just be aware

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                  You are going to be disappointed with an ifa! Just like people here are upset with their accountants.

Absolutely. Similar experience as dealing with double glazing salesman. Far better to self educate and make your own decisions.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

IFAs are heavily regulated these days. And you can just pay them £££ for advice and put your money elsewhere.
                    20 years ago they were mostly crooks, but they have to explain all their commissions now.

They are qualified to provide financial advice, unlike everybody on here.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

So I spoke with an IFA this morning.

Their advice for me was to consolidate my 3 pension pots into one pot with another SIPP provider, stop my NEST pension, and Salary Sacrifice into the new SIPP.
                      Setup an S&S ISA, and a Lifetime ISA that they would manage. Not sure which funds they use, they just stated that on average over 10 years they have compound interest of 15%.

I definitely found it useful as I haven't got a clue about any of this, but they want £1500 to set up the SIPP and the ISA's and move my pensions for me.

I find this to be quite expensive, but after speaking to colleagues £1500 is the average?

Is it worth doing? I can do 90% of that myself I'm assuming the benefit they have is knowing which funds to invest my money into.

Comment

Working...
                      X