• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working abroad expense

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working abroad expense

Hello

If I'm working abroad, but not because I need to but because I want to be travelling while working... can I expense a certain amount of rent for additional cost necessary to have fast wifi and desk, that I wouldn't need if I wasn't working?

Like normally I'd just get a room for £40/night. But then because I need a fast wifi and desk to work, I would book a flat with these facilities costing £100/night.

The client is in UK so doesn't care where I work thought.

Thank you

Originally posted by cwah View Post
    Hello

If I'm working abroad, but not because I need to but because I want to be travelling while working... can I expense a certain amount of rent for additional cost necessary to have fast wifi and desk, that I wouldn't need if I wasn't working?

Like normally I'd just get a room for £40/night. But then because I need a fast wifi and desk to work, I would book a flat with these facilities costing £100/night.

The client is in UK so doesn't care where I work thought.

Thank you
    Dual purpose (living accommodation not just for work) so no unless you are incredibly brave.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

but not because I need to but because I want to be travelling while working...
      No. It's not wholly and exclusively so fails the test. Why should you get a tax break for doing something that you want to do but is not required for your work.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The fast wifi and desk is wholly and exclusively for work. I wouldn't need to book a more expensive place if it wasn't for work.

At home I can expense wifi and work equipment for example. So why not during travel?

I was thinking it could be the difference of cost maybe, like £100-40= £60 expense because this additional cost is ONLY due to the necessity to work from home abroad

This is actually required for work. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to work at all

Comment

The fast wifi and desk is wholly and exclusively for work. I wouldn't need to book a more expensive place if it wasn't for work.

At home I can expense wifi and work equipment for example. So why not during travel?

I was thinking it could be the difference of cost maybe, like £100-40= £60 expense because this additional cost is ONLY due to the necessity to work from home abroad

But the necessity to be abroad is not due to work.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And to add to the previous point, I could also book separately a working space for work for a neat separation. But it would end up way more expensive to have to book for accomodation AND working space.

Would make much more sense to have one that does both. But then the taxman may disagree with this

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

But the necessity to be abroad is not due to work.
              So if I'm abroad I can't expense anything anymore? It wouldn't make sense. Even if I'm abroad if I need some supplies or meeting room wholly and exclusively for work I know it's allowable.

So why not the extra cost of wifi and desk in my accommodation?

Comment

Because the room/flat is being used for living (and you are not there for work related reasons) none of it is reclaimable - yes it's more expensive but HMRC won't care...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So if I'm abroad I can't expense anything anymore? It wouldn't make sense. Even if I'm abroad if I need some supplies or meeting room wholly and exclusively for work I know it's allowable.

So why not the extra cost of wifi and desk in my accommodation?
                  You can expense anything that is needed by the business to do your job. A desk because you've swanned off on holiday is not needed, it's a preference to suit your lifestyle. It's not wholly and exclusively for business.

It's not rocket science this one I am afraid.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fast wifi is wholly and exclusively for business right? I wouldn't be able to do conf call without it. And quiet space as well. I wouldn't be able to do any work in a hostel reception for example. Although I'd be happy to have that as lifestyle.

But I get it, it's quite unfortunate I feel.

Comment

Working...
                    X