• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working abroad expense

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwah View Post

So if I'm abroad I can't expense anything anymore? It wouldn't make sense. Even if I'm abroad if I need some supplies or meeting room wholly and exclusively for work I know it's allowable.

So why not the extra cost of wifi and desk in my accommodation?
    When you say "Abroad" do you mean you're going on holiday?

Is your next question going to be "if I'm abroad and need to come back to the UK for a trip, can I fly first class and claim it as an expense?"

Or "If I'm on holiday do I need to pay tax in the UK anymore?"

If you're on holiday you don't need a meeting room for work. You're not meeting anyone on holiday. Unless your name is Boris and you're wanting to call it a business trip.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Fast wifi is wholly and exclusively for business right? I wouldn't be able to do conf call without it.
      Strangely enough, you can do conference calls on mobile phones, using cellular data.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

When you say "Abroad" do you mean you're going on holiday?

Is your next question going to be "if I'm abroad and need to come back to the UK for a trip, can I fly first class and claim it as an expense?"

Or "If I'm on holiday do I need to pay tax in the UK anymore?"

If you're on holiday you don't need a meeting room for work. You're not meeting anyone on holiday. Unless your name is Boris and you're wanting to call it a business trip.
        I'm not on holiday. I was looking for the right term because I'm just trying to work from home in various cities and see if there's one I like. Because if I were on holiday I wouldn't be working!

And your example don't make sense, you don't need first class to travel back. But fast wifi and quiet place is necessary to work.

I've done conf call by phone in the past btw, it was a horrible experience because it's super slow abroad, and it's definitely not fit for purpose.

Comment

I'm not on holiday. I was looking for the right term because I'm just trying to work from home in various cities and see if there's one I like. Because if I were on holiday I wouldn't be working!

And your example don't make sense, you don't need first class to travel back. But fast wifi and quiet place is necessary to work.

I've done conf call by phone in the past btw, it was a horrible experience because it's super slow abroad, and it's definitely not fit for purpose.
          Argue it all you want but it is your personal choice that is causing the business to incur costs therefore is not wholly and exclusively. Dunno how else to put it to you. The business does not require you to work there and so the business cannot claim it.

You can of course carry on claiming the work from home rate at £6 per week so you are getting a benefit for not being in in a client office.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

But again - everything is dual purpose. You are there to live, you are not going there to see the client.

So none of it is claimable because all you are doing is moving your home from somewhere in the UK, to somewhere else.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

ok thanks makes sense. I'll just book some office space or something of that sort to work. This would be expensable at least...

Comment

ok thanks makes sense. I'll just book some office space or something of that sort to work. This would be expensable at least...
                No it wouldn't.

Why would you incur expenses just to be able to claim expenses? That's ridiculous. Just get on with it and enjoy your break and don't let that tax issues dictate your holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

No it wouldn't.

Why would you incur expenses just to be able to claim expenses? That's ridiculous. Just get on with it and enjoy your break and don't let that tax issues dictate your holiday.
                  It's not really a break. I'm planning to travel long term although I'd come back regularly in the UK.

It's just getting a good place to work while travelling is difficult and expensive. I don't think I can work from home in a cheap room abroad. Wifi may not work properly and be slow. And I'd have to work outside. Best place would be some shared desk space. They cost like £15/day. It's still way cheaper than having a separate flat with fast wifi

Comment

It's not really a break. I'm planning to travel long term although I'd come back regularly in the UK.

It's just getting a good place to work while travelling is difficult and expensive. I don't think I can work from home in a cheap room abroad. Wifi may not work properly and be slow. And I'd have to work outside. Best place would be some shared desk space. They cost like £15/day. It's still way cheaper than having a separate flat with fast wifi
                    I don't care. It's not wholly and exclusively so you can't claim it. You wouldn't have to pay it if you weren't fulfilling your hears desires. I've run out of ways to explain it.

Wifi works fine all over the world now. I'd not assume wifi would be bad nowadays. Be prepared, but the assumption it will be poor is stuff of olden days. If your wifi is poor then you are forcing the business to incur costs because you've not booked somewhere suitable so again, not wholly and exclusively.

Can you someone break wholly and exclusively down in to smaller words for the poster please?

Comment

If I decide to work from home - and hence require a desk/chair etc - then is the company paying for expenses related to my personal choice?

If I decide that the distractions of working from home are too great, and I decide to rent a small office - then is the company paying for expenses related to my personal choice?

In both cases, the company does not require me to work from home or an office, unless that's in my contract of employment with my ltd.

If I happen to be abroad, and the company requires me to work - then why can't I book a room with a desk and fast wifi? After al, it's not my personal choice to work - but a demand from the company?

I'm just trying to test the boundaries as it is a bit confusing...

Real example, I'm working from my home office. Some of the servers are noisy...so I bought a pair of noise cancelling headphones. Is that an allowable expense?

--Jatinder

Comment

Working...
                      X