• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loaning money to another LTD company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loaning money to another LTD company

I am currently contracting through ltd company (lets call it A) and I don't take any money out of it due to the other income I have which is sufficient for my expenses. Now i am opening another ltd company SPV (lets call this B) to purchase property for BTL purpose, can A lend money to B ? if so at what rate? market rate ? and any tax implications to consider ?

Not everything is about tax.

Companies are separate and distinct "persons" in law. Their commercial arrangements are between their directors, so should be reasonable and appropriate. An interest rate of a few points over inflation is probably a good start plus an agreed term for the loan so company A's money is not at risk.

As regards risk, will company B make enough money in its own right to repay the loan in a sensible period - say a financial year?

Others around here have done this in the past, I'm sure you will get some more informed opinions (other than "ask your accountant") in due course!
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The gross spread is going to be 2.5%, so it will take 8 years (or more) to make full repayment to company A with 20% deposit coming from company A, also I am thinking in future this debt can be converted to equity, so company A will own shares in B ! The main motivation for doing this is to make the money 'work' rather than sit their idle ! also I am not interested in SIPP/pension !

Comment

The very best thing would be to forget all about BTL. IMHO, of course.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

A company holding equity in another company is putting their money at risk; if the recipient company defaults for any reason, the money will be lost. Also bad debts can be written off against CT, whereas valueless share options won't be. So commercially it's a bad idea.

But it's your money and your judgement on the viability of the new company.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Read up how to search the forums in this thread. https://forums.contractoruk.com/welc...uk-forums.html

Use that method to search for 'inter company loan', 'Company SPV' and other terms. This exact question has been asked many times.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

northernladuk
              ​​
              thanks for your tip on searching the forum, there are some useful posts !

malvolio

my aim is to continue these loans in perpetuity , of course I need to lend money at the market rates which nowadays is at close to 0% :-))

my plan is to acquire a property at 20% or 25% deposit (with deposit coming from company A), any recommendations on lenders with good rates and also accountants who can deal with these setups, my current accountancy is Dolan and they don't seem to be well versed with these semi-complex setups

Comment

Originally posted by i-am-ltd View Post
                northernladuk
                ​​
                thanks for your tip on searching the forum, there are some useful posts !

malvolio

my aim is to continue these loans in perpetuity , of course I need to lend money at the market rates which nowadays is at close to 0% :-))

my plan is to acquire a property at 20% or 25% deposit (with deposit coming from company A), any recommendations on lenders with good rates and also accountants who can deal with these setups, my current accountancy is Dolan and they don't seem to be well versed with these semi-complex setups
                It's not a loan if it's perpetual.
                Market rate is not at all close to 0%. That's the base rate.
                Why bother to lend the money to B if the intention is to make it capital later. Just use the £££££ as capital to start company B.

Or. Stop messing around with tax wheezes, take the cash as dividends and buy the property personally. At least that way it's yours, and the profit is yours to spend.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Why bother to lend the money to B if the intention is to make it capital later. Just use the £££££ as capital to start company B.

Or. Stop messing around with tax wheezes, take the cash as dividends and buy the property personally. At least that way it's yours, and the profit is yours to spend.
                  Absolutely this.

However, I believe it's better to gain property portfolio exposure via real estate investment trusts. Held in a tax shelter such as ISA or SIPP. The silly nonsense of trying to game the tax system short term for an asset that's pretty likely to be a headache longer term should take second place to sound long term personal finance planning. There are very good property portfolios out there with professional management paying solid and high dividends and with prospective capital gains to come. Completely hassle free, tax privileged in ISA or SIPP wrappers. Of course, not everyone agrees.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

few months ago I got .89% 5 year fix from HSBC with 60% LTV, that is very close to ZERO, anyway I want to do everything above board ! I need to find a lender who lends at sub 2% for ltd company with 75% LTV, otherwise all this discussion is meaningless !

Comment

Working...
                    X