• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT buying dedicated server from Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

Again, you haven't asked the right question there.

You aren't buying a product from Germany, you are purchasing a service from a German firm who are providing the service from within Germany.

Once you've explained what you are actually doing I expect you will get a different (and more accurate) answer.
    Yes but they are charging UK VAT using the MOSS and as such treating me as a none business. If they're charging you German VAT then that's simply wrong. However I do get the point that one can see whatever VAT is charged is simply part of the price but I don't see why HMRC should get 20% of my companies purchase

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

Yes but they are charging UK VAT using the MOSS and as such treating me as a none business. If they're charging you German VAT then that's simply wrong. However I do get the point that one can see whatever VAT is charged is simply part of the price but I don't see why HMRC should get 20% of my companies purchase
      The VAT number Hetzner are using is actually a GB one GB372091505 - so by the looks of it I've screwed up and should just be treating it as a UK purchase with VAT and deducting it from VAT payment.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The VAT number Hetzner are using is actually a GB one GB372091505 - so by the looks of it I've screwed up and should just be treating it as a UK purchase with VAT and deducting it from VAT payment.
        That's interesting so I should have no issue as I can claim the GB VAT back using that number

Is that the number they put on their invoices? I'll ask them in the current support thread I've open with them.
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

That's interesting so I should have no issue as I can claim the GB VAT back using that number

Is that the number they put on their invoices? I'll ask them in the current support thread I've open with them.
          It appears on the July invoice but doesn't seem to have been on previous ones.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not post January 1st
            EU VAT rules have not changed - an EU business exporting goods to outside the EU VAT area should not be charging VAT. The only difference between now and before we left the EU is that previously the EU business would have required a valid EU VAT number from another EU business in order to zero rate the supply to the UK, but now we are outside the EU altogether its an export to outside the EU.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/busines...s/index_en.htm

The place of supply rules for services have not changed either. A supply of services from an EU business to a business outside the EU is - under the general rule - supplied where the customer belongs and is therefore outside the scope of EU VAT. Special place of supply rules may change that treatment depending on the service however and that may well be the case here, but its got nothing to do with Brexit.
            Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 5 August 2021, 12:54.

Comment

If you are charged UK VAT on an invoice with a UK VAT number then yes, you can claim back the VAT. If the German company is using a UK VAT number then they aren't using MOSS (because MOSS does not exist in the UK anymore, or apply to supplies made outside the EU), they must be registered for UK VAT.

I had a similar situation with Apple a few years ago, just after the MOSS rules on e-services was brought in. Prior to this, Apple would treat the sale of the Apple Developer Membership as a B2C purchase and charged Irish VAT on the sale (as the store operates out of Ireland). You had to go through a lot of hassle emailing Apple with your business and VAT details for them to treat it as a B2B supply and re-invoice without VAT (as it should have been accounted for under the reverse charge).

Then after the VAT on digital service rules was introduced they continued to treat it as B2C but now started charging UK VAT with a UK VAT number. This was still technically incorrect, it should still have been a reverse charged supply, but after speaking to my accountant he confirmed that as it was a UK VAT number and UK VAT it was fine to reclaim it so I just did that.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 5 August 2021, 12:58.

Comment

There's a lot of dodgy VAT management going on and some of the big companies, especially telecoms and Chinese based companies, are the worst culprits. The rules are straightforward so should be applied at all times properly with a valid VAT receipt being provided in all circumstances. HMRC should come down heavily on all companies flouting the rules especially the bigger ones Although I have noticed that the situation is improving with more companies doing things properly.

Comment

Working...
                X