• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best route to electric car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Your source for this?

Perhaps in some backwater areas it's a non-starter, but the "demo vehicle" you refer to has sold around 11,000 units, while the Hyundai Nexo is selling around 8,000 a year.
    May I suggest you do some proper research on the production of hydrogen, its conversion to a non gaseous state, storeage and it's efficiency whether as a compressed fuel or via a fuel cell? Hydrogen as a fuel is best suited to larger vehicles that do not need, quick delivery of speed changes as cars do. HGVs, trains and even ships are better vehicles for it.

11,000 units is a tiny number. 8,000 a year is miniscule.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post

May I suggest you do some proper research on the production of hydrogen, its conversion to a non gaseous state, storeage and it's efficiency whether as a compressed fuel or via a fuel cell? Hydrogen as a fuel is best suited to larger vehicles that do not need, quick delivery of speed changes as cars do. HGVs, trains and even ships are better vehicles for it.

11,000 units is a tiny number. 8,000 a year is miniscule.
      I've done research. I'm not talking about efficiency, production, storages etc, but your claim that there was a Toyota demo car.
      Basic maths tells me that 11,000 is 11,000 times more than one.

Oh, and here's a list of well known manufacturers, across ALL their models are on track for sales less than 11,000 in the UK this year:
      Alfa Romeo
      Bentley
      Jeep
      Maserati
      Mitsubishi
      Subaru
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Can someone help clarify a query on BIK rates - If you bought an EV in 2020/21 where BIK is 0% - is this the BIK you will pay for as long as you have the car or do you pay the BIK rate for the year you are in i.e. currently 2021/22 has BIK rate of 1%. Something I've not been able to find an answer for.

So if you bought a car in 2020/21 where BIK is 0% - but then in later years chancellor increases BIK to 10% - would you then have to pay BIK at 0% (i.e. the year you bought the car) or the BIK rate for that year e.g. 10% - If it is the latter - then I guess you are at the mercy of the chancellor - as you would not know what the BIK rates might be in future years - though they maybe quite attractive and enticing at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by gazelle View Post
          Can someone help clarify a query on BIK rates - If you bought an EV in 2020/21 where BIK is 0% - is this the BIK you will pay for as long as you have the car or do you pay the BIK rate for the year you are in i.e. currently 2021/22 has BIK rate of 1%. Something I've not been able to find an answer for.

So if you bought a car in 2020/21 where BIK is 0% - but then in later years chancellor increases BIK to 10% - would you then have to pay BIK at 0% (i.e. the year you bought the car) or the BIK rate for that year e.g. 10% - If it is the latter - then I guess you are at the mercy of the chancellor - as you would not know what the BIK rates might be in future years - though they maybe quite attractive and enticing at the moment.
          https://www.parkers.co.uk/company-cars/what-is-bik/

You are at the mercy and he WILL come calling. When they are raiding everything they can, fags, alcohol, fuel and whatever you can bet your bottom dollar 3% BIK will be far too tempting to miss.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 1 September 2021, 18:19.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you buy the car in 20/21 where BIK is 0% it doesnt stay on 0% for the duration you have the car

It changes every year depending on what the tax rates are set at

So you could have an electric car in year 1 at 0% and in year 3 the chancellor changes it to all cars a minimum of 10% - then you pay 10%
            Normally rates are set a few years in advance so shouldnt be big surprises instantly

Comment

Thanks NLUK and Saptastic,

I guess it was wishful thinking on my part. I did see that BIK rates were published for a few years - I guess this ties in with most people leasing cars for 2-3 years so can budget for these years. But makes it difficult if you were looking to buy a car to keep for 5yrs+ and were enticed by the initial 100% CT write down and 0-1% BIK rates.

Comment

Thanks NLUK and Saptastic,

I guess it was wishful thinking on my part. I did see that BIK rates were published for a few years - I guess this ties in with most people leasing cars for 2-3 years so can budget for these years. But makes it difficult if you were looking to buy a car to keep for 5yrs+ and were enticed by the initial 100% CT write down and 0-1% BIK rates.
                I reckon we will get back to the point where it's unattractive to have a car via the company again. They'll just pick and pick at the rate until its back to business as usual. No discounts, no benefits etc just as we are now. I would guess that's quite a way off though but once electric is the new norm my bet is the BIK will be back to norm as well. Some good discounts now but the price of them is too much for most.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X