• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best route to electric car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Ltd co purchased a Tesla end of last year. Along with a charging point installed at my home, plus insurance - and the repair cost when I scraped 2 wheels ?
    I didn't really look at leasing. Asked my accountant and they were fine with it all.

P11D for 2020-21 shows a BIK cost of ... £0. Should be £100 this tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      My Ltd co purchased a Tesla end of last year. Along with a charging point installed at my home, plus insurance - and the repair cost when I scraped 2 wheels ?
      I didn't really look at leasing. Asked my accountant and they were fine with it all.

P11D for 2020-21 shows a BIK cost of ... £0. Should be £100 this tax year.
      Do you pay for proper business car insurance?

I believe this is an area people often miss, especially when the car is personally owned as visits to clients are not 'commuting'.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Do you pay for proper business car insurance?

I believe this is an area people often miss, especially when the car is personally owned as visits to clients are not 'commuting'.
        Yes, it covers SDPC + business use ?

I did find a few insurers that would not quote because the owner/keeper is the Ltd company and I was the policy holder.
        Last edited by Spoiler; 3 August 2021, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

What's the BIK on all that personal use, seeing as it's unlikely you're visiting clients.
          1%

Comment

So what are the implications if the OP goes inside for his next gig out of interest? The days of gauranteeing being outside for the duration of the lease have long gone.
            What happens if he's inside a few months here and there and also in the scenrio when his next gig is inside and he says inside for the rest of the lease?

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              So what are the implications if the OP goes inside for his next gig out of interest? The days of gauranteeing being outside for the duration of the lease have long gone.
              What happens if he's inside a few months here and there and also in the scenrio when his next gig is inside and he says inside for the rest of the lease?
              Not a problem provided the company has the cash to continue paying the lease...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Not a problem provided the company has the cash to continue paying the lease...
                Interesting.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As NLUK said, this has been covered before. Just to recap, the main alternative to company ownership (with BIK) is that you own the car personally and then charge expenses to your company. You can still claim the same amount per mile (45p for the first 10,000 miles then 25p after that) whether it's an EV or ICE. So, depending on how far you travel for work and how much you pay for the car, you might actually turn a profit. I.e. you might legitimately claim more in expenses than you pay for lease and charging costs.

Comment

Id also be interested in an up to date understanding of getting an electric car as it is something that I am considering.

suppose you have a ltd and income coming in and it’s not going to stop. Would it ever be better to buy personally? I know with diesel the answer was always buy personally so I never thought about putting electric car in the company

if anyone has real figures on a 50 k Tesla as an example please share them. That would be most interesting

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                      Id also be interested in an up to date understanding of getting an electric car as it is something that I am considering.

suppose you have a ltd and income coming in and it’s not going to stop. Would it ever be better to buy personally? I know with diesel the answer was always buy personally so I never thought about putting electric car in the company

if anyone has real figures on a 50 k Tesla as an example please share them. That would be most interesting
                      I think buying an electric vehicle now is silly. They are advancing all the time, what's the point of forking out 50k on something that will be improved upon significantly in the next 5 years?

Comment

Working...
                      X