• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non Resident In UK But On UK Payroll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Resident In UK But On UK Payroll

I previously asked about take home pay and contract vs perm and have spoken with the HR team who have said that they cannot do contract work and that I would need to be on the UK payroll although I could work remote if i needed to.

If I am on the UK payroll of a company and have my salary deducted at source is it possible to reclaim the tax deducted on the basis that I am non resident and instead live and reside in Switzerland?

I am doing this to minimise tax of course but I will genuinely be out of the UK and of course pay all taxes needed in my country

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...#money-and-tax

And you might be better posting your questions on the HMRC forum. Not sure asking a question about perm taxation involving another country on a UK contractor forum is really the best option.

https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/forums/customerforums/
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You can't legally be an employee of a UK company and work in Switzerland. The problem is the Swiss tax authorities will want to tax you in full irrespective of tax paid in the UK, notwithstanding issues such as not paying into the Swiss unemployment insurance and compulsory pension for which you may end up liable.

I would turn it down, or if you accept, travel to the UK to work.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

You posted the same question on 24.05.2021 here: https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-...itzerland.html Here's my answer again:
        Originally posted by LincolnAbrahams
        Could you please expand on that NAT - The UK company will pay me on the UK payroll - There is no way around that

Its up to me to recover it back from HMRC and elect to be taxed in switzerland.

My UK accountant has said he does not know if that would be possibel
        If you live and work in Switzerland, you must pay the local equivalent of NI in Switzerland. Both employer's and employee's contribution. You can do that through ANOBAG. You are legally obliged to pay tax in Switzerland on your worldwide income. You do not "elect" to be taxed in Switerland.

Here's a couple of links for your interest. taxadvisermagazine HMRC

As far as UK payroll is concerned, your employer can keep you on that, but should in fact pay you gross - no NI or tax deductions at all. You should however negotiate an uplift to cover the employer's NI they don't have to pay either. There is a chance that the employer will run into difficulties with HMRC over their reporting if they incorrectly pay tax and NI for an employee who is not liable.

Another link:
        https://shieldgeo.com/how-to-pay-you...-uk-employers/

Are you expecting a different answer?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
          I previously asked about take home pay and contract vs perm and have spoken with the HR team who have said that they cannot do contract work and that I would need to be on the UK payroll although I could work remote if i needed to.

If I am on the UK payroll of a company and have my salary deducted at source is it possible to reclaim the tax deducted on the basis that I am non resident and instead live and reside in Switzerland?

I am doing this to minimise tax of course but I will genuinely be out of the UK and of course pay all taxes needed in my country
          First question - does the client know you aren't going to be in the UK.

Once they discover that fact they probably won't be interested
          Last edited by eek; 31 May 2021, 10:07.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

First question - does the client know you aren't going to be in the UK.

Once they discover that fact they probably won't be interested
            This is not true. The world has changed and no one on this forum seems to recognise it. I have done multiple interviews in the past week and explicitly told people I'm not in the UK. I'm British but not tax resident in the UK. Nevertheless they (UK ltd companies) want me to do contract and perm work for them. Just to be clear I will never personally go in to their office, all the work is completely remote.

Given all of the above are true, here is what I'm doing - not sure if it is correct but putting it out here for comment:

1. I have two ltd companies, one in UK and one in country of residence.
            2. I am employee of foreign company but also shareholder and director of UK company.
            3. UK company receives contract payments in a UK bank account
            4. UK company pays foreign company for work I have done by sending money abroad
            5. Foreign company pays corporation tax and employee taxes (mine) in country of residence.
            6. UK company breaks even and has no expenses other than foreign co payments and bank account fees.

The only reason I have the UK company is because no one wants to send contract payments to a foreign company or foreign bank account, and no one seems to want to open a UK bank account for a foreign company. I'm basically just running a foreign company and paying tax locally.

If anyone knows a better way to deal with this please tell me.

Comment

Originally posted by fridgemagnet1776 View Post

This is not true. The world has changed and no one on this forum seems to recognise it. I have done multiple interviews in the past week and explicitly told people I'm not in the UK. I'm British but not tax resident in the UK. Nevertheless they (UK ltd companies) want me to do contract and perm work for them. Just to be clear I will never personally go in to their office, all the work is completely remote.

Given all of the above are true, here is what I'm doing - not sure if it is correct but putting it out here for comment:

2. I am employee of foreign company but also shareholder and director of UK company.
              5. Foreign company pays corporation tax and employee taxes (mine) in country of residence.
              6. UK company breaks even and has no expenses other than foreign co payments and bank account fees.

The only reason I have the UK company is because no one wants to send contract payments to a foreign company or foreign bank account, and no one seems to want to open a UK bank account for a foreign company. I'm basically just running a foreign company and paying tax locally.

This is a risk for you and the client. Client thinks they're mitigating the risk but they're not. It would be much cleaner to do what we do - have a compliance process for the country (we have one for every country in Europe and some in Asia.) There's 2 specific risks for the client - one is personal taxation - if you aren't paying the correct tax they could be liable and 2nd is establishment rules - some regions having someone do work for you in that country creates a place of establishment for the client.

The world has changed - remote is much more palateable for clients but they are also starting to see that there is more to it than having a laptop and working where you want. There was a good article recently (that I can't find now!) about 3 workers working remotely from different countries and the relative difference in overall tax. Clients are starting to see this and if you want to make it work, in my view, you need to be able to present a much more compliant mechanism (I would say that!)

Comment

Originally posted by fridgemagnet1776 View Post

How does all that work when he is an employee of a UK company placed on UK payroll not as an external supplier paid via a business to business UK transaction. For background this OP is also trying to minimise UK tax for other reasons as well (which is background I will accept you may not know). And the employer has already stated in the OPs first paragraph that "the HR team who have said that they cannot do contract work".

I know how to correctly sort out offshore work - some of my suppliers work the way you do but go and read the OPs original post and then correct mine once you understand the EXACT circumstances I was dealing with.
                Last edited by eek; 29 June 2021, 11:52.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sadly eek is correct - There is no chance to do contract work which might have worked if outside IR35 - As a perm I am in a corner and have to pay UK tax - I ve checked this back to front

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    which is background I will accept you may not know
                    To be fair, I think everyone and their dog knows the OP's background because they keep banging on about it in every possible context.

Comment

Working...
                    X