• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does advice on avoiding being a sole trader/LLP apply to consulting partnerships?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does advice on avoiding being a sole trader/LLP apply to consulting partnerships?

BACKGROUND

I am expecting to be made redundant next week, and treating it as an opportunity to do some research and development with a friend.

Our primary focus would be in research, requiring a lot of time but little expenditure, so we were considering forming a general partnership while exploring ideas, and transitioning later to a limited company in the (actually quite unlikely) case that the research paid off.

The hope was that this would limit the amount of admin/accounting overhead during the initial research stage (and if we needed to close the company).

However, to be able to fund the research, we would also like to run one or two small technical consultancy projects on the side. i.e. work together to solve some problems for clients on a time and materials basis (not quite sure if this should be described as consultancy or contracting - we would both be providing advice on what to implement and doing the technical work of implementation).

Looking at this site, I found some things that seem a bit concerning.

However, I don't have the basic knowledge to understand whether these apply to our situation (as it is a different type of company, and perhaps there are different answers for consultancy or contracting).

QUESTIONS

1) Is this idea a non-starter? i.e. do people here find businesses unwilling to have consultancy contracts with general partnerships?
    (I can ask the prospective clients, but just wanted to check if there is a standard answer before asking the question)

2) Does anyone here actually operate as a general partnership offering consultancy services?
    I have found some sites that say there is a usual progression from sole trader to general partnership to limited company, but very little evidence on this site that this is true.
    Most people seem to have their own limited company or use an umbrella company.

3) If anyone does operate as a general partnership, would the contract for services refer to the company name, or does each individual need their own contract?
    (I have found that a general partnership is not a separate legal entity so not sure if it makes sense to have a contract with the company?)

4) Any other advice? (I am finding the business/tax research all a bit new and overwhelming so getting tempted to abandon this dream and search for a new job instead)

META-QUESTION

5) I would like to get some professional advice before starting the business, but not sure who I should be asking.
    Do you think the questions above are better answered by a solicitor or an accountant?

Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 July 2022, 17:43.

Yes. Talk to an accountant.

I can’t answer the questions directly but in general a LTD. company is the easiest way.
    LLPs basically allow a large, privately owned company to get limited liability and similar tax breaks. Not sure why, but some consultancies wanted it and Toby Blair obliged.
    A LTD with a 50:50 share split would be more common and easier to administrate IMO.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      LLPs basically allow a large, privately owned company to get limited liability and similar tax breaks. Not sure why, but some consultancies wanted it and Toby Blair obliged.
      They wanted it because they wanted the protection of being limited liability and the joys of being a partnership. Prior to this, partnerships had unlimited liability.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yes. Talk to an accountant.

I can’t answer the questions directly but in general a LTD. company is the easiest way.
        Thanks, it is a bit of a shame as it looked like there was a lot more overhead involved in setting up and running a LTD. company, but I guess it is time to find an accountant now.

Comment

You may find that, irrespective of which vehicle you prefer, your hand will be forced by what the client/agency is willing to work with. This unfortunately isn't easy to gauge ahead of time and you may have to ask around prospective clients as you already mentioned.

It needn't be a large admin overhead to set up and manage a LtdCo. Things like Articles of Association sound daunting but there's a standard template to use and you just copy that. You only change those if your company wants to do something different. An accountant will help you with that and may even offer a service to do the initial registration for you.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            They wanted it because they wanted the protection of being limited liability and the joys of being a partnership. Prior to this, partnerships had unlimited liability.
            I know that bit. I don’t know what advantages there are of a partnership over a LTD. What are ‘the joys’?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I know that bit. I don’t know what advantages there are of a partnership over a LTD. What are ‘the joys’?
              There's something around distribution of profits that is slightly different but I'm not sure of the details. I remember Private Eye getting all excited over the big law firms using LLPs as a means of being rather tax avoidy

Comment

What sort of income are these side-line consultancies expected to bring it, and how long before you expect to be able to make a decision to move ahead with a Ltd company.

I went through something a number of years ago where I and another person had a business idea. We individually tested the market for a few months. We each initially did the work as self-employed, as the revenues were relatively low and under the VAT threshold, and then formed the Ltd company once there was a proven market.

We were fortunate that we found clients who would work with non-incorporated entities, so, as others have said, that could be the driver for a decision to form a Ltd company sooner rather than later.

The risk with that approach would also be if your research was expected to create IP with a value - if so, best have that up-front agreement that the IP belongs to an incorporated entity. There's nothing like a dispute to sour a friendship....
                Last edited by Paralytic; 27 May 2021, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  We were fortunate that we found clients who would work with non-incorporated entities, so, as others have said, that could be the driver for a decision to form a Ltd company sooner rather than later.
                  Thanks, it is nice to hear that it was not a totally impractical idea and that some clients are willing. We'll definitely check with the clients (and an accountant) before deciding. With respect to your questions, it would only be the two of us so not expecting much income from the consultancy, timescale perhaps around two years before closing shop or becoming a proper company.

Comment

Running a company isn't going to be expensive.

A mettle bank account will give you free freeagent access and with that you can do your company tax return.

And given that you agree that you state it might be a problem for companies to deal with none limited companies I would just create one.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X