• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home pay again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take home pay again!

Can someone check my calculations please? I’m using https://www.income-tax.co.uk/calculator/62500/

If, er, my friend gets £62,500 after tax in benefits, Is the break even point for working (assuming employers NI is not included) around £105,000 a year = 450 per day ?

The above site says it is, but I guess he would have to add a bit for the apprentice levy and umbrella fees?

Assuming Employers’ NI was paid by the employer (crazy, I know) then he would be looking at £93,000 annually?

If he wanted to make £20 an hour over benefits he’d need £800/day inside IR35?

If I’ve got this completely wrong, just tell me the right figures rather than droning on about how much cleverer you are than me.

TIA,

Huge

What do you mean by after tax in benefits?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      What do you mean by after tax in benefits?
      I mean if he currently gets around £78,000 in benefits and pays £15,500 tax on them leaving him with £62,500 to take home.

Comment

That is a lot of benefits.

Do you mean income??

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
          That is a lot of benefits.

Do you mean income??
          Unemployment benefit - or you could call it an insurance payout if you like. Yes, it’s a lot.

Comment

Question is irrelevant.

Tell your friend to get a job.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
              Question is irrelevant.

Tell your friend to get a job.
              He’s trying. But if he does it will increase inequality, damage the environment, harm his client/employer.

what is the reason for your suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

He’s trying. But if he does it will increase inequality, damage the environment, harm his client/employer.

what is the reason for your suggestion?
                Probably an assumption that the person in question is taking state benefits of a rather large amount that the poster thinks is not fair or reasonable.
                It might be a good assumption. It might be a bad assumption. It's still an assumption.

I assume that to get 'benefits' as large as that it could be a pension. Maybe a clarification would help rather than allowing conclusions to be leapt to.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Probably an assumption that the person in question is taking state benefits of a rather large amount that the poster thinks is not fair or reasonable.
                  That assumption is correct (although the state makes a profit on the scheme, so you could argue that it’s fair, but it would be a stretch).

Not a pension.

But I would be grateful if someone could just check my sums for me. He just wants an idea of how low a salary it’s reasonable for him to take.

Comment

This thread reminds of the C4 TV programme "Benefits Street"

Comment

Working...
                    X