• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bounceback loans - Free year ending soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

An insolvency process is not something where you "walk away". The government as a creditor will have the right to appoint a receiver, a very expensive lawyer will be appointed whose raison d'etre is to take you to the cleaners.
    Not quite -

His raison d'etre is to find a way or a means to make the company's debt the director's (i.e. your) personal responsibility

And then taking both you and the company to the cleaners.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It's interesting what you all wrote like some receivers are going for any possible way to recover creditors monies... I know my knowledge is limited but I've in the past put my life saving in P2P loans where the assets were secured against properties.

I've seen so many sheningan from company directors and obvious fraud, going from insolvencies to insolvencies then changing their name slightly in company house not to be tracked.

As investors, we can only assist in what's happening and these receiver/administrators who are supposed to save the game were just sucking up dry any money they could. These expensive guys as you say they charge like £500/h. Yes, per hour. They work a day and that's £4k out. And they'll drag the case for YEARS charging millions in fees.

Unless there are large amounts involved or obvious case of fraud, I don't think they'll appoint administrators to thoroughly examine the case because the bank will lose WAY more money than they can recover. They'll definitely appoint some administrator to check the case, but it would be a quick review to check if there's anything obvious that stand out and easy to win.

I'm not saying there are no risk, and you are right it's not just walking away. But it's certainly not as risky as you say it is.
      Last edited by cwah; 13 May 2021, 11:51.

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
        It's interesting what you all wrote like some receiver are going to come for any possible way to recover creditors... I know my knowledge is limited but I've in the past put my life saving in P2P loans where the assets were secured against properties.

I've seen so many sheningan from company directors and obvious fraud, going from insolvencies to insolvencies then changing their name slightly in company house not to be tracked.

As investors, we can only assist in what's happening and these receiver/administrators who are supposed to save the game were just sucking up dry any money they could. These expensive guys as you say they charge like £500/h. Yes, per hour. They work a day and that's £4k out. And they'll drag the case for YEARS charging millions in fees.

Unless there are large amounts involved or obvious case of fraud, I don't think they'll appoint administrators to thoroughly examine the case because the bank will lose WAY more money than they can recover.

I'm not saying there are no risk, and you are right it's not just walking away. But it's certainly not as risky as you say it is.
        Remember the people reclaiming the money are the ones with full access to your business bank account transactions - that's very different from a P2P loan scheme where the lender hasn't a clue what is going on.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It's interesting what you all wrote like some receivers are going for any possible way to recover creditors monies... I know my knowledge is limited but I've in the past put my life saving in P2P loans where the assets were secured against properties.

Unless there are large amounts involved or obvious case of fraud, I don't think they'll appoint administrators to thoroughly examine the case because the bank will lose WAY more money than they can recover. They'll definitely appoint some administrator to check the case, but it would be a quick review to check if there's anything obvious that stand out and easy to win.

There's a difference between private creditors and the government. A unpaid electricity bill won't be chased if your company goes insolvent, an unpaid tax bill will be very agressively. I would treat a 50 grand debt default with a great deal more respect than a few individual creditors.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

There's a difference between private creditors and the government. A unpaid electricity bill won't be chased if your company goes insolvent, an unpaid tax bill will be very agressively. I would treat a 50 grand debt default with a great deal more respect than a few individual creditors.
            That's a good point but isn't the bank the creditor? The government should refund the bank if the loan becomes insolvent. They even gave guidelines for recovery practice for the bank. I haven't read anywhere that the government was going to buy back all the defaulted loans and take them into their book to do the recovery themself.

Comment

I haven't read anywhere that the government was going to buy back all the defaulted loans and take them into their book to do the recovery themself.
              What else have you not read that you've therefore assumed will not happen?

Why would the government not sell on the defaulted loans, even for just 10% of their book value? I'd say they'd have a duty to the taxpayer to do exactly that!

They could sell them to some company in the IOM.

Comment

That's a good point but isn't the bank the creditor? The government should refund the bank if the loan becomes insolvent. They even gave guidelines for recovery practice for the bank. I haven't read anywhere that the government was going to buy back all the defaulted loans and take them into their book to do the recovery themself.
                Once the loan is defaulted, the government takes over the loan pays the bank and automatically becomes the creditor.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

This outlines what happens if you liquidate your company with an outstanding bounce back loan.

https://www.aabrs.com/bounce-back-lo...d-liquidation/

When a business enters into a formal insolvency procedure, any transactions made during and in the period leading up to the insolvency will be scrutinised by the insolvency practitioner. If they find that the Bounce Back Loan was used to make payments to certain creditors and not others, you could be made personally liable to the value of the payment. The transaction will also be scrutinised by the Insolvency Service to determine whether you should be disqualified from operating as a director in the future.
                  The insolvency practitioner charges huge fees and if he does find you liable he'll be expecting you to cover those. This is his raison d'etre, he will be highly motivated to find you liable.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 May 2021, 07:15.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Decided to just pay mine back in full

Comment

Working...
                    X